Staff Engineer, Digital Community
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Team:
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
About the Job:
As a Staff Engineer for Community at Rent the Runway, you will directly contribute to our technical strategy by building social networking features to further unite our vibrant community of members all while collaborating with top engineers in the industry. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again. Many of our millions of members have used Rent the Runway for the most important events in their lives, and in the process, we are changing the meaning of ownership and revolutionizing retail.
What You'll Do:
- Lead architecture and delivery of features to bring organic offline community behavior onto our digital platforms, transforming our brand and user experience to be customer dominated and connected
- Work closely with cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design to build community engagement features to connect our users to one another
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of strategic initiatives related to community
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder, removing roadblocks, and determining when to build and when to leverage third party social platforms/tools
- Lead prioritization efforts, plan future roadmaps, and provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness and careers of others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Substantial experience designing community networks with a deep knowledge of social graphs and tagging systems
- Deep experience with different types of data stores, including relational, NoSQL, and graph databases, with the ability to defend why one is a better fit for a given task than the other.
- A strong command of algorithms, data structures, and best practices, e.g. tree structures, recursion, OODP, etc.
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization with an aim toward performant and clean solutions
- Hands-on technical leadership, experience in a developer relations position, and/or people management experience
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems microservices
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Rent the Runway does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need