Technical Lead, Data Engineering
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 3 out of 4 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive marketplace where teachers have created more than 4 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than six million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher.
Who we are looking for:
We’re a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
As a Technical Lead on the Data Engineering team at TpT, you will be working with other members of the Data Engineering team, other Platform and Product Engineering teams, and business teams including Analytics, Product, Marketing, and Finance, to ensure that people and systems have access to clean, reliable, understandable, curated data. You will be overseeing the development and delivery of products and features for your team. You’ll help to build and improve our Data Warehouse, pipelines, and related infrastructure, using your ability to think systematically, abstractly, and empathetically. You’ll help push the Data Engineering team forward, advocating for best practices and helping to mentor more junior team members.
Qualities for a successful candidate
- Strong grasp of advanced SQL, including windowing functions, nested queries, regular expressions, and a solid understanding of how relational databases and cloud data warehouses work.
- Experience with backend web development practices and tools, including CI/CD, SQL databases, APIs, git/GitHub, etc.
- Experience with building, scaling, and monitoring resilient systems.
- Experience with data warehouse design and development, including dimensional modeling and ETL/ELT pipelines.
- Enjoys mentoring teammates and working collaboratively with peer engineering teams
- Committed to continuous learning, and communicating and sharing those learnings out
- At least four years of experience as a software engineer, at least one of which was on a Data Engineering team
- Experience with the primary tools we use: BigQuery, dbt, Looker, Airflow, Kubernetes, AWS, Python.
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to speak clearly to technical and nontechnical audiences and to write clearly.
Extra Credit for
- Experience with Ed-Tech or ecommerce marketplaces.
- Experience as a Business/Data Analyst or related role.
- Relevant education, such as a degree or substantial coursework in a field such as Computer Science.
- Open source contributor or active in your professional community.
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process can contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.