Art Director, Special Platforms
The Art Director, Special Platforms leads design on Snapchat Discover. This role is responsible for maintaining the visual integrity of our daily editions and output, supervising/coaching junior creatives on the Snapchat team, and, along with the Editorial Lead, planning out themed editions and takeovers. This team member should be self-motivated and able to split their time between daily design deadlines and long term creative goals for the platform. They should also have an iron-clad understanding of the Thrillist voice, brand, and creative vision, and be able to track and apply data learnings into editorial planning. Thrillist Snapchat focuses predominantly on travel, which is a core pillar of the brand. Our Snapchat Discover edition will be 5 days per week, so consistently planning ahead is essential.
The Art Director liaises closely with the Creative Director to remain on brand and guide creative discussions/updates, and also closely collaborates with the expanded design team and the Executive Editor when the editorial travel team produces content around a special event.
This position reports to the Creative Director. Please send your resume, cover letter and portfolio with this application.
An Art Director, Special Platforms at Thrillist should:
- Be a graphic design ninja and typography aficionado
- Be aware of current cultural trends in design, illustration and typography
- Be collaborative and receptive to feedback and direction
- Be able to sketch ideas and communicate intent
- Be a strong editorial partner who loves storytelling through design
- Be comfortable managing both small and large projects
- Be a lover of pop culture and travel
- Be excited about the Thrillist brand and creative potential of our unique content
- Oversight and ownership of Snapchat layouts
- Creation of any higher-touch layouts/graphic needs
- Driving new layouts/initiatives for the platform
- Assisting with any marketing efforts
- Prototype design for new initiatives
- Mentor Graphic Designers / Animators on staff
- Innovate new styles and formats that help define and evolve the Thrillist brand
- Present mood boards, style frames and conceptual ideas to the Creative Director, the Editorial Lead, and other team members as required
- Assign and manage freelance design and illustration when required
- Go beyond what’s expected and challenge themselves to excel on all levels
- 6+ years of art direction and graphic design experience at a leading brand
- An outstanding portfolio that showcases design solutions for digital editorial content
- 2+ years of management experience overseeing design staff
- Minimum 4-year degree with a focus on Graphic Design
- Experience creating animations in Photoshop, After Effects or other software
- Proficiency in: Adobe Creative Suite, Typography, Photo editing, Color correction, File management, CMS fluency
- Be a self-starter and have a passion for new media
- Curious, nimble, process driven, and super organized
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Looks at each project as an opportunity for growth
- Ability to work quickly and smoothly within a fast-paced environment
- A positive, easy-going attitude
- Able to keep a sense of humor under pressure
- Snapchat design experience preferred
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.