Brand Designer at Betterment
Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Betterment! We are all finding ourselves in an uncertain environment given the ongoing developments with Coronavirus (COVID-19). As you know, Betterment’s mission is to empower people to make the most of their money so they can live better, and we maintain that steadfast commitment regardless of market conditions.
We are hiring slowly but thoughtfully at this time. We will be reviewing all applications for each open role on a weekly basis through June, 2020. Given this shift in hiring pace, you may not hear back from us for a few weeks. If your application seems like a good fit for this position, we will contact you in order to schedule a phone interview.About the right team member:
You’re a skilled graphic designer with a passion for storytelling. And social media is your muse. You love the challenge of taking a complex story and distilling it down into bite-sized, Instagram friendly moments. You follow more professional social accounts than friends because you admire their craft. (No offense to your friends.) You’ve got a secret Pinterest board full of creative advertising ideas you wish you had come up with. You’re constantly awed and inspired by your fellow creatives, always looking for opportunities to grow your own skill set. You strive for perfect, but don’t let it stand in the way of something great.
In this role, you will collaborate with our copywriters to develop compelling and engaging social media content on both our paid and organic channels. You will be in charge of bringing social and digital video creative content to life from start to finish. Beginning with creative brief, you will translate your vision into storyboard concepts, work closely with business partners to address feedback, and work independently to bring your vision to life.Your toolkit is scrappy. You will work on our small but mighty in-house creative team of brand designers, illustrators, and copywriters, and collaborate with cross-functional partners, including PMs, PMMs, and Product Designers.At Betterment you will get to:
- Work hands-on with our in-house Marketing Team to concept, storyboard, produce animated video content for our social media platforms
- Pair with our Growth team partners to strategically version and optimize our creative
- Partner with our talented team of product and brand designers in our weekly design studios, providing one another feedback and perspective, creating a cohesive experience across our brand
- This is a full-time, onsite role located in our NYC HQ
- 3+ years experience in a marketing-specific, design-related field at a design agency or in-house team
- An eye for design as well as a hands-on ability to execute your vision
- A portfolio of exceptional work that reflects your passion for social media, inclusive of thoughtful, concept-led creative and an ability to tell complex stories with simplicity
- A strong sense of typography and type in motion
- Motion design and animation experience
- Video editing abilities
- Ability to rough shoot and retouch
- Proficiency within the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and working knowledge of editing software like Premiere, Final Cut, AVID, etc.
- An ability to adapt to change in direction and an ability to own a sizeable part of a project without much oversight
- A collaborative working style—you'll work with others to empower and encourage the proper use of the brand, and you are receptive to feedback
- Effective communication skills—you can clearly articulate your design decisions and you're comfortable presenting work to cross-functional teams and executives
- Knowledge on what content performs well across Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest
- A strong grasp of direct response creative vs. brand creative and best practices for each
- A passion for data, infographics, and visual representation of abstract concepts
- Experience with financial advertising or an interest in personal finance
- A stellar (if snarky) answer to the question, “How can we make this go viral?”
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.