Communication Designer at Codecademy
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the first Communications Designer to join the Codecademy team you will play a pivotal role in elevating our existing visual design and driving human-centered visual content throughout the organization. Through close collaboration with cross-functional teams you will push the boundaries of our visual expression into new and exciting territory.
Communications Design is vital in helping those who share our vision of a forward-thinking, accessible tech education to truly see us, and it helps millions of learners to encounter, understand and practice new skills. As we scale our product further, the importance of excellent, consistent visual design will only increase. You will help us reach our goals by thinking creatively and exercising your craft to build a bigger Codecademy that our learners can love, while also establishing and guiding our teams on consistent use of design patterns.
The successful candidate will have a history of thinking outside the conceptual box while delivering well-crafted and reliable results. You will have thrived in fast paced environments, using your exceptional communication skills to evangelise boundary-pushing visual designs. You will have demonstrated success in collaboration with cross-functional teams to drive consistency and to release work on deadline. We are looking for someone who can balance rigor, velocity, and inventiveness to shape the future of learning for millions of people.WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Translate Codecademy’s existing brand principles into a consistent, expressive and strategic framework for visual communication, and contribute to its continuous evolution
- Contribute to our scalable visual design system of type, color, layout and communication components
- Create branded identities and artwork for our suite of products, web pages, events, exhibitions and swag
- Establish a conceptually-grounded direction for visual expression and execute with precision
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams as well as fellow designers, establishing and meeting deadlines
- Support our team with guidance on human-centered visual expression.
- Work within our high level visual guidelines, but know how to experiment and push into new territory
- Challenge yourself and teams to strive for excellence, establishing and communicating a high bar for quality
- You are comfortable with a fast-paced environment, being flexible while maintaining high standards and an attention to detail
- You are comfortable creating responsive, interactive designs as well as working in print
- You collaborate well with others, skilled in accepting and also giving feedback, and are comfortable participating in our regular critique sessions with design peers
- You lead by creating inspiring visual designs, establishing and communicating a consistent vision, planning for success and delivering on expectations
- You understand how to sketch/prototype in order to support quick collaborative work with minimal wasted effort
- You are proficient in industry tools and have ability/willingness to learn new skills. At Codecademy we use Figma, Adobe Suite, Principle, HTML/CSS/JS.
- You have a strong command of typography, layout, color and illustration
- You are confident at presenting ideas to both peers and stakeholders
- You have experience designing in a self-directed way with multiple stakeholders across a company
- You have a portfolio showcasing mature visual design skills and an ability to meet complex problems with thoughtful and efficient solutions
- You are fluent in designing with code
- Your bring your life experiences and outside creative pursuits with you to enrich your perspective as a designer
- You are a lifetime learner
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.