Creative Director at Codecademy
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
As the Creative Director, you will play an important role in pursuing the Codecademy mission, helping us reach and educate people all over the world by sharing the Codecademy story; along the way building our user base and driving membership.
To accomplish this, you will lead the Marketing Creative function, improving upon our current approach and toolset, ensuring creative continuity and brand consistency, and stretching us into new territory. Developing our internal team is a priority, though the ability to leverage external resources is important as well. This role crosses the entirety of Codecademy, comprising both B2C and B2B responsibilities.
The successful candidate will implicitly understand the importance of conveying a brand consistently, communicating on an emotional level across many different formats and media, and embrace the notion of taking the brand to new places, all the while maintaining our brand essence. Of equal importance is the ability to iteratively improve our production operation to unlock scale and efficiency.
This role reports to the VP of Marketing.WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Take our existing Creative practice to the next level - identifying opportunities to expand the breadth of our creative, taking a brand led approach to engage audiences and ensure excellence across all Codecademy creative assets
- Develop a Creative culture to foster strategic thinking, inspired content and individual development
- Define what great looks like for Marketing Creative - identifying and communicating our aspirations and benchmarks for greatness
- Maintain consistent brand voice, expression, and visual styles in all deliverables
- Guide creative to ensure work aligns with Design patterns and standards
- Offer leadership and contribute to the overall Marketing strategy and plan(s)
- Encourage and enable the team to excel in the quality, efficacy and volume of their work
- Collaborate with leaders of other functions, including Design, Product Marketing, Marketing Channel Owners, Product Owners, and others
- Manage the day-to-day creative process and production
- Develop annual, quarterly, and sprint level plans to ensure work is focused on the most important activities and aligned to our capacity
- Build scalable end-to-end work flows for creative, ensuring delivery is aligned to design standards, on-time, within budget, and meets/exceed stakeholder expectations
- Identify signals to create feedback loops that inform the efficacy of various message, design, and art direction techniques
- Determine creative team people resources, including hiring, freelancers, agencies and production partners
- Ensure effective Creative tools and devices that sync with our Design and Product teams
- Provide regular communication ensure transparency and ensure shared expectations across stakeholders
- Mentor and develop Creative team members to build the people, team and company of the future
- 10+ years of expertise in creative and production management in a creative agency and/or client side creative team
- Must have at least 2 years of experience in-house on the client side
- Expert knowledge of creative engagement processes (ie, working with creative briefs, setting realistic turnaround times for creative projects, developing and maintaining standards for brand and communication)
- Experience selecting and managing agency partners
- Extensive experience across digital media formats and experiences, experience in traditional media including TV is helpful
- Experience tracking projects in collaborative tools (Asana, Smartsheet, Jira, Trello, etc)
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and departments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Business judgment; strategic and analytical capabilities
- Ability to prioritize and multitask, managing multiple projects with tight timelines
- A team oriented mindset, an ability to relate to others and develop effective working relationships
- Experience working with international expansion
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
- Experience in working in Agile
- Digital business, subscription marketing and/or education category experience
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.