Director of UX/Product Design
What is Slice
Slice is the leading marketplace connecting customers to the local pizza shops they love. We serve the $45 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile and web ordering experience for customers, and by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, and marketing to grow their business. Slice evens the playing field for local pizzerias against both Big Pizza and Mass Marketplaces, and we want you to join our mission.
Slice has quietly bootstrapped its way to building a network of more than 11,000 pizzerias nationwide. Ilir Sela, our founder and CEO, started the company as a passion project to help his friends and family in the pizza business, but he quickly saw a massive opportunity to champion these small businesses by bringing their bites to the masses. Ilir has since built an amazing team of product managers, technologists, marketers and operational and investors — all dedicated to making it easier for people to enjoy their favorite local pizza. Did you see we were recently Apple’s App of the Day?
Why you should be a Design Leader at Slice
This is a rare chance to:
- Get in early, build out your team, and create an end-to-end Design System for the next generation of Slice’s App and Web experiences for both customers and restaurant owners.
- Join a high-performance team of Product pros from Amazon, AmEx, Gilt, eBay, Jet and more top NYC shops.
- Make a real difference both for the users feeding their friends/family and in the lives of 55,000 small business owners and the hundreds of thousands of people they employ.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead Product Design strategy across App and Web, partner with PMs to align with Roadmap, and manage a 6-person UX team to execute on the plan.
- Promote Design Thinking throughout the organization and help Product accelerate Design Sprints and prototyping.
- Through both qualitative and quantitative analysis, keep the organization navigating by a North Star of the user’s Job To Be Done and the Design Thinking that will create a solution for that job.
- Lead the creation of User Research function and customer journey mapping.
- Collaborate with Product Directors, developers, marketers, and customer support throughout the Product process, including discovery, testing and scoping to drive successful launches and iterations.
- Report directly to the Head of Product.
What we’re looking for:
- 6-10 years of UX/Product Design experience, with a good portion designing for transactional/marketplace App and Web products.
- 3-5 years of managing and mentoring Sr. UX Designers.
- Strong experience creating design systems.
- Deep knowledge of UX Research and customer journey mapping, and how to leverage these to formulate the Job To Be Done and craft elegant, intuitive experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and partner well across, up and down the organization.
- Familiarity with leading design sprints and prototyping.
- Great Design Leaders can come from a variety of backgrounds, and so Slice is open to varied education and experience.
What we offer:
- Competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with an employer match. (because you’re worth it!).
- Full benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance to make staying healthy easy cheesy.
- Unlimited paid vacation (yep!). You’re an adult and life is busy. We trust you to get things done.
- $25 towards Slice every week, so you can throw your very own pizza parties (public or personal, we don’t judge).
- Flexible work arrangements, because a life/work balance is important and this is the 21st century. Work how you work best!
- Discounted gym memberships, so you can work up a sweat in between pizza snacking.
- Weekly happy hours which are great for mingling with the Slice family or brushing up on your mixology.
- Weekly catered pizza lunches! Come on, you knew there was going to be pizza. But did you know it was gonna be weekly?
- Fully stocked kitchen featuring a plethora of snacks, coffees, teas, treats, (and likely leftover pizza) — a true bounty of delights.
- Quarterly company outings and events. Dress fancy and celebrate your successes with pinkies up! (And pizza. There will be pizza.)
- Great office space located in the Flatiron District of NYC, steps away from Union Square and most train lines.
Slice is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.