On the Policygenius Product Design team, we're focused on building out a world-class organization; we hire the best and brightest, give people as much scope as they can handle, and glorify shipping and impact. As Head of Design, you’ll balance both problem-solving and process, the strategic and the tactical, and bring a deep understanding of the interplay between design, product, engineering, and business to develop products that delight consumers and deliver business impact.
Everyone at Policygenius, from our newest designer to our CEO, understands that the design process is our primary tool for empathy, problem-solving, and innovation. Our entire product process is designed to de-risk what we build before we build it. In fact, the product and design teams focus nearly 60% of their time on Discovery; lining up experiments to validate our riskiest assumptions first. To be successful, we’ve built a balanced team who aims to deeply understand how our customers think about their financial safety nets, and make important decisions for their families.
This role reports directly to our Founder and Chief Product Officer.
In this role, you will…
- Create a clear and compelling vision and strategy for the design organization and design systems
- Be responsible for both our consumer-facing and internal-facing product. This includes our content, online product experiences, proprietary operations CRM and SaaS products used by partners
- Lead a growing team of 12 high-performing design leaders and designers to develop a roadmap, in conjunction with product and engineering, to realize the vision
- Partner with product and engineering leaders, across discovery and delivery, to ensure we ship elegant and intuitive features that solve customer problems and deliver business impact
- Work with stakeholders across engineering, design, brand, and business functions to ensure the cross-functional teams are delivering impact for both customers and business
- Elevate the productivity and performance of your team through mentorship and coaching
- Work with our Chief Product Officer (and Founder) to scale your team and other areas of the product organization
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 12+ years experience building web products, including B2C experience
- You have 5+ years experience building and leading design teams through periods of great company growth
- You have a history of successfully recruiting and performance-managing design teams; demonstrated skill developing and managing people while preparing them for future roles, setting performance expectations, and instilling a values-based team culture
- You have a proven track record of designing high-impact products at scale
- You have a strong understanding of current design & product best-practice (informed by product leaders like Marty Cagan and Teresa Torres) and opinions on where the field is going next
- You have an ability to work cross-functionally across departments to prioritize and design products that delight customers, and deliver on company goals
- You have a strong analytical orientation with a desire to always understand how your work delivers both customer and business impact
- You’re adept at wielding quant/qual research techniques to shed light on customer motivations
- You have insightful problem-solving skills and the ability to balance the strategic with the tactical
- You work with a sense of urgency and have a proven ability to achieve impact in a fast-paced environment
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- A flexible-first workplace, with the freedom to work in our beautiful offices or remotely as needed based on the needs of your role, team, and the business
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry, including training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- An inclusive community of fun, diverse, and open-minded coworkers committed to our mission of helping people get financial protection right
Policygenius transforms the insurance journey for today’s consumer, providing a one-stop platform where customers can compare options from top insurance companies, get unbiased expert advice, buy policies, and manage their insurance portfolio, all in one seamless, integrated experience. Since 2014, our content, digital tools, and experts have served as a resource for millions of people on their insurance journey, and we have sold more than $120 billion in coverage. In early 2020, we announced our Series D funding round of $100 million, which brought our total funding to just over $150 million.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Even with our rapid growth, we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we’re looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" four years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!