Lead Product Designer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Our Product Designers are strategic thinkers and problem solvers who are always searching for ways to enhance the experience of using Rent the Runway. Not only will you work collaboratively with the other designers, but also Product Managers, Product Marketers, UX Writers, Engineers, and other key stakeholders will be your strategic partners.
About the Role:
This role reports directly into the VP of User Experience & Product Design and will support UX-focused efforts such as research, user flows, wireframes and user testing in addition to delivering best-in-class final designs. The ideal candidate is someone who is extremely passionate about developing design solutions driven by real customer data, and strives to turn these insights into best-in-class experiences across web and native app interfaces. You will not only have a mastery of interface design, but also think about design in systematic ways.
Your work will help to inspire various teams across the organization by demonstrating (through prototypes) what is possible before it is built. As the Lead Product Designer, you will execute elegant, intuitive designs that build on UX flows as well as advance product, creative, and business strategies. The ideal candidate is a resourceful self-starter with a passion for UI and UX, has a deep interest in interactivity and front-end animation, a love of typography and composition, and previous experience using technology and user research to improve design solutions.
What You’ll Do:
- Apply conceptual thinking and creativity to complex design problems from conception to production for site, app, email and other marketing initiatives
- Manage a small, but growing team of Product Designers
- Create low-fidelity prototypes followed by high-fidelity prototypes, demonstrating first functional thinking and then visual communication
- Create innovative designs that demonstrate brand consistency across all platforms and devices
- Thoughtfully and professionally communicate your design logic and rationale both internally with your creative peers as well as cross-functionally, to further your objectives in a collaborative and personable way
- Identify aspects of the site/app that can be improved and justify your perspective with data as well as industry best practices
- Lead and manage usability tests (setting up screeners, discussion guides, and moderating users)
- Execute innovative creative ideas to advance Rent the Runway’s brand vision
- Partner with other creative team members to unite the visual style consistency across the brand
- Bring positive energy and freshness to your daily collaboration with the product, tech and marketing teams to execute digital projects across all platforms
- Exude the desire to be challenged and inspired by new ways of thinking
- Manage and track asset handoff and production process for all designs
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7+ years of hands-on experience creating digital experiences
- Well organized, solutions-oriented, with a desire to work in pixel-perfect detail
- Understanding of the UX process and design principles
- Strong conceptual thinker with design sensibilities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Love for typography, grid-based design, and design systems
- Collaborative team player with an interest in learning and listening to others
- Ability to present and pitch user-focused solutions to stakeholders
- Self-motivated, resourceful, hardworking with a positive attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Fluency in Sketch and the Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to prototype in InVision, Principle, and/or Figma
- Foundational understanding of front end development as well as established and emerging web technologies
- Past experience working in e-commerce, fashion, and/or a startup a plus, but not required
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. We have a competitive benefits package on offer for all our Ireland based employees which reflects our ethos and culture. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.