Principal, Product Design at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 21.2 million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 140,000 restaurants in 2,700 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About You: You believe design is a method for solving problems, not a deliverable. We are looking for experience in advocating for the user, while leveraging potential business and technical constants. This will require you to both understand the problem you are solving and execute the appropriate solution.You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product diners teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful Product approach to the mantra of “move fast and ship it."
You’ve been doing this for awhile now but still like to get your hands dirty. You're using the latest tools, you’re familiar with the trends in the industry. You’ll be as happy whiteboarding as doing detailed visual design when needed. While you won’t necessarily be executing day to day work you, will be giving hands on instruction / mentorship with UI and UX for the design team as a whole. The craft is as important as the strategic mindset.
To support these platforms and our business, we are currently seeking a seasoned and highly experienced Principal Designer to provide design oversight across critical company initiatives and to provide leadership & team mentoring in our Chicago or New York office.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
- Hands on experience with consumer facing e-commerce visual design
- Have oversight and accountability for time & quality commitments for design deliverables
- Be responsible for helping set and shape Grubhub’s design vision and direction
- Support coaching and development of Design Managers and Design Leads
- Serve as a key member of Grubhub’s Design Leadership team
- Help build a high performing and efficient design organization
You Should Have
- 10+ years experience in Design and user experience
- 7+ years experience providing design leadership within cross functional teams
- Demonstrable commitment & engagement in the broader design community
- Strong ability to own the definition, prioritization, resourcing, and execution of strategic efforts for the evolution of diner products
- Strong collaboration skills to ensure seamless partnership between Product Management, User Research, and Engineering Leaders to ensure the delivery of work aligns to the overall company goals
- Superior domain knowledge and expertise in several design competencies and how they relate to business and technology
- Bachelors Degree in Creative or Design related field
***Submissions without a portfolio that includes examples of your design work will not be considered.***
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.