Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the design and implementation process across multiple product areas
- Manage projects across multiple product areas
- Ensure the team sets a high quality bar for the work they ship with minimal effects on velocity
- Recruit, hire, onboard, and mentor a team of designers and help build a strong design culture that ensures the team works and grows openly and collaboratively
- Build and hold a high standard for designers at Better
- Ensure designers are shipping high quality work efficiently and effectively — no matter what
- Build relationships with cross functional partners and help accelerate efficiency by regularly iterating on and improving processes and workflows
- Effectively speak to process, design goals, and team vision with cross functional partners, executives, and stakeholders
- Partner with Product to help create roadmaps, define OKRs, and understand key metrics to measure product success and health
- Collaborate closely with Engineering and Product to ensure projects are defined accurately and properly scoped
- Coach and mentor designers on your team, helping the achieve maximum impact with minimum effort
- Work iteratively from concept to detailed designs powered by research and data
- Create a strong design process with all partners and designers
- This role is designated as ‘Remote Mode,’ and employees are not expected to report into a Better office at any time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required unless fully remote employees attend an onsite, in-person meeting, office event, or otherwise interface with Better employees and/or customers in person.
- 6 years of experience in digital product design and/or service design
- 2+ years of people leadership experience, leading teams of UI/UX, researchers, and product designers
- Experience working with engineers and product managers to improve strategy, vision, and execution and push the best work forward
- Experience balancing creative and analytical design goals, and making product and design tradeoffs
- Ability to lead and influence without being the direct manager of all team members
- Strong understanding of product-building areas including engineering, design, analytics, and user research/insights
- Ability to thrive and effectively communicate in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- Ability to come up with new creative ideas from a blank canvas while also delivering detailed design approaches
- Ability to solve complex UX and product strategy problems to deliver the best possible visual design solutions
- Experience working in a highly iterative, collaborative environment where people share work daily
- Experience with building and promoting complex design systems
- Impeccable taste and understanding of high quality design
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with prototyping tools and bringing work to life
- Direct and to the point
Job Req ID: 498
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.