Product Designer, Data Abstraction Tools at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a Product Designer to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
You will work on data abstraction tools - a set of tools that take sometimes messy, often free-text patient information and transform it into anonymized data that is ready for scientific analysis. You’ll conduct user research with a large group of oncology nurses and other medical professionals who use these tools. You’ll learn about how these tools can be improved to help them better uncover critical information that would otherwise be missed, and help them do so efficiently and without error. By doing so, you will improve the quality of the data they help extract, increase the kinds of questions that data can answer, and ultimately improve the kinds and quality of the care that cancer patients receive. In addition, you’ll also:
- Generate hypotheses and validate product and design decisions using both qualitative and quantitative user research methods
- Work on complex interaction and workflow design challenges
- Work closely with nurses and oncology professionals, clinical data experts, data scientists, engineers and product managers to design user-centered solutions
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work on a product that is key to Flatiron’s strategic goals and where a great user experience is a core differentiator. You will also learn about the intricacies of the healthcare system, and deliver well-designed solutions that not only solve problems, but will also help build a learning healthcare system.
Who You Are
You're a Product Designer with 3-5 years of experience designing complex, multi-step workflows in an applied product, user experience or interaction design role. Successful OncoEMR designers typically possess a generalist skillset, and have the ability to concisely explain complex problems and projects to audiences of all backgrounds in both written and verbal form.
- You have knowledge of user centered design practices and contemporary design tools, and how best to apply both
- You have a portfolio that tells the story of how you’ve applied design to solve problems in the past, starting at an idea and ending with a solution in the hands of your users, as well as what you learned throughout the process.
- You have strong stakeholder management skills and comfort working with expert-level users
- You are experienced in independently conducting user research
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have demonstrated ability to design beyond the screen, and address tricky problems and complex workflows with a service design mindset, leveraging people, process and technology
- You have some experience working with remote research & facilitation methodologies
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- A supportive and growing design team, with whom we run weekly design critiques
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.