Senior Product Designer at Ellevest
About This Position
As a Senior Product Designer at Ellevest, you are responsible for leading user research and design efforts cross-platform, turning complicated problems into intuitive experiences, and always keeping the user at the center. Reporting to the Director of Product Design, you’ll collaborate closely with the product and engineering teams at every stage of the product process from defining problems & requirements to overseeing builds. You’ll also collaborate with Brand Designers to create a consistent user and brand experience at every touchpoint.
You are wholeheartedly focused on the user, and believe that regular testing and iteration is the key to delivering a successful product. You have a sharp sense for when to apply established patterns and styles, as well as when to evolve them (while updating our style guide and documentation accordingly).
- Partner with product and engineering teams to define problems & assess opportunities
- Map user flows, create design solutions, and prototype interactions
- Oversee the building process cross-platform in both responsive web and native app
- Balance business objectives and customer needs
- Work iteratively in a highly Agile and Scrum environment
- Give and receive design feedback among peers
- Pitch confidently to stakeholders
- Lead research and user testing efforts to hypothesize and validate customer needs
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to iterate and optimize product features
- Be an evangelist for UX and UI best practices and design excellence
- Deliver design solutions that challenge convention and create engagement
- Collaborate with the team to build a scalable design system
- 6+ years of design experience
- A portfolio of (shipped) digital product design showcasing complex and creative UX solutions, exceptional visual design and solid information architecture
- Experience iterating on a live product in an in-house environment
- Ability to move quickly from concept to whiteboard to execution
- Openness to receiving feedback and having your opinions challenged
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills — present your work confidently to any audience (engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, etc.)
- Ability to prioritize projects, communicate progress, and deliver on time
- Experience with A/B testing and optimizing for conversion (a plus!)
- Interaction design and passion for creating micro-animations (also a plus)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving and constantly evolving high growth environment
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with an easy-to-use app and website backed by a gender-smart algorithm that factors in things like longer lifespans, pay gaps, and career breaks. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, and author of “Own It: The Power of Women at Work.” Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, and retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a woman’s longer lifespan and different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevest’s unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, and operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team and working environment where individuals can succeed professionally and personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, and to have room for fun and fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent and teamwork, and team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, Ellevest was named as one of LinkedIn’s 50 Hottest Companies to Work For, as well as a spot on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list, “identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech and business shifts” — both for the second year in a row. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Ideas, and CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrow’s household names. We are working every day to make this a reality, and create a brand and a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.