We are looking for a Software Engineer to join the Discover team in launching an exciting new business initiative at Teachable!
Teachable is best known for its platform that allows Creators to monetize their knowledge while owning their brand, customer relationship, and revenue stream. In order to supplement our core offering we are experimenting with ways to further help our Creators to generate more demand. Last year we created the Discover by Teachable prototype to help validate that a successful product could be built around this concept and are now focused on launching and iterating on a fully productized application, called Discover Beta, to extend the ways in which we can create demand for Creators.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in modern backend web technologies and architectural approaches, and translate that expertise into production code. They will leverage prior experience and learnings to make informed technical tradeoffs and iterate quickly. While this position is primarily a backend position, as a member of a small, flexible team, the candidate should be willing and able to traverse up and down the stack as necessary to make forward progress.
As a member of this team you will be expected to have a scrappy and entrepreneurial mindset with a strong sense of ownership and the ability to collaborate seamlessly with other like-minded individuals. You will be selecting technologies and building systems that will form the foundation of a new product with high business potential, and the decisions that you make together with your teammates will have an enormous impact on the future of the product.
This role reports into our GM of Discover, Aaron Arboleda.
- Build features and functionality for a user-facing product that is expected to scale quickly
- Contribute heavily to the evolution of a new, foundational infrastructureUse qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to inform decision making
- Collaborate effectively with a small team to iterate quickly, apply learnings, and deliver increasing amounts of customer value incrementally
- Sync with engineering and other teams in the flagship Teachable product to leverage knowledge and shared systems when necessary, while keeping the Discover product and systems as decoupled from Teachable as possible
- 3+ (5+ if senior) years of professional experience developing scalable web applications, including API design, service-based architecture, database design, and asynchronous jobs processing
- Robust knowledge of server application development best practices, including performance and scalability considerations, monitoring/alerting/reporting best practices
- Ability to create testable and maintainable code; ability or interest in maintaining CI/CD pipelines a plus
- Familiarity with AWS products or other cloud infrastructure solutions
- Experience or interest in maintaining Dockerized applications Kubernetes experience a plus
- Must have a self-serve attitude towards application infrastructure management
- Experience with Python a plus
- Experience working with frontend, React-based applications a plus
- Comfortable making decisions in ambiguous situations with changing or unknown requirements
- Strong communicator who knows when to streamline and when to broadcast to a wider audience
- Prior experience in a small startup or incubator environment, especially where you've seen the effects of your decisions with increasing scale
- Experience with B2C or affiliate marketplaces is a plus
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.