Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds!
But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together!
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
As a Backend Engineer at Venmo you will be responsible for making engineering design decisions and developing features pertaining to the backend. You will also be expected to be a role model on coding standards, tools, platforms and other best practices for the backend team. Specific responsibilities include:
Things you'll do as a Backend Engineer at Venmo:
- Leading the design and development of backend features and components
- Collaborating with other engineers in API design and development
- Scaling the backend architecture and codebase to support growth while keeping the Venmo service fast and reliable
- Reducing the level of technical debt of the backend codebase
- Help triage bugs, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with product and other functional teams and their leadership
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 3+ years experience in software development or a related field
- Experience working on backend systems at scale, using technologies like MySQL, Django, MongoDB, Python, Java, etc.
- Experience building and deploying complex but well architected, maintainable, and testable application backends
- Experience with error logging and performance tools such (Sentry, New Relic, etc.)
- Strong object-oriented programming skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates. Please don't hesitate to apply.