Director of Engineering, Learning Systems
Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of online higher education via technology. We’re growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing, and autonomous. You will be working directly with product managers, business analysts and your peers in a highly collaborative manner.
About The Role
We are looking for a thoughtful, collaborative and results-driven engineering leader with experience running teams of 3 to 8 engineers in an agile environment. You are a maker at heart and have experience in finding a balance between individual technical contribution and achieving results via your team. You are comfortable using and providing guidance in techniques like test driven development (TDD), pair programming and retrospectives.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner. You have experience in, and passion for, building and running effective teams that deliver and thrive.
You are a competent maker, able to
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing, refactoring and deploying code)
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members.
- Lead technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts
- Advocate for end user needs in software you are building
You are a competent manager, able to own and direct your team in:
- Planning and execution of short and medium term projects
- Hiring, engaging and developing for members of your team. Occasionally assisting with hiring on adjacent teams
- Assessing, reporting, and improving systems and processes in your charge
- Collaborating effectively with Product team (product managers, business analysts, and UX designers) to define and refine requirements
You have experience in (or clear potential for understanding) higher education ecosystem, 2U’s 3 year strategy and major goals, and can align and execute your team’s deliverables accordingly
About The Team
The Online Campus team makes up the core of outward-facing user experience of 2U’s academic product offering. This is the “face” of 2U insofar as it is the destination for students, faculty, administrators and support user populations as they interact with each other, share information, consume content, and perform the necessary operations to complete a degree with a 2U university partner.
We're currently working on replacing our legacy systems, open source Learning Management System in PHP, with a new tech stack. We are motivated to build a team where members bring sound computer science fundamentals and a diverse set of skills and experiences to the table. We are looking for expertise or demonstrable potential in most of the following technologies:
- Ruby on Rails
- React, Angular
- Python + Tornado
- Relational databases (like MySQL)
- Key Value stores (like Redis)
- Cloud native service, such as AWS, rackspace, google cloud, like Lambda, Aurora / RDS, SNS, SQS, Kinesis
- Distributed system and architecture
- Component-based single page application
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.