Director of Engineering
We’re looking for an Engineering Director with a proven track record who can lead teams, contribute independently and work with Product and Engineering teams to deliver products at scale. You'll get the opportunity to manage and mentor engineers and team leads while helping grow the team and shape engineering decisions.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced team that is passionate about technology, building products we’re proud of, and upholding a strong, collaborative team culture. We’re excited to meet you.
What you’ll do
- Be part of the Engineering Leadership team, manage and grow the team and help create a healthy culture to make Skillshare a happy and productive place to work
- Directly manage engineers and technical leads and invest in the career growth of your team
- Design AWS based microservices and event-driven architecture
- Perform architecture and/or code reviews and ensure well-tested code
- Collaborate with product and design teams to bring projects from conception to production
- Recruit and hire new engineering team members
Why we're excited about you
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, with 3+ years of managing engineers for cloud-based web and backend applications at scale.
- Seasoned manager, comfortable recruiting, coaching, and mentoring highly talented engineers
- Influence and establish engineering best practices through solid design decisions, processes, and tools.
- Solid foundation in design, data structures and algorithms, and strong analytical and debugging skills with customer-facing products experience.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Empathy for Skillshare end users and being mission-oriented towards the broader impact
- Excel at leading and delivering complex projects
- Bonus for having previous startup experience at similarly sized companies with a remote team culture
Why you’re excited about us
- Impact : You’ll occasionally roll up your sleeves and fix bugs, but you’ll play a key role in shaping the direction of the engineering team.
- Growth: We are looking at triple-digit growth (and then some). It’s going to be a very exciting few years ahead for Skillshare.
- Team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community whose mission is to connect curious, lifelong learners everywhere – and, in so doing, build a more creative, more generous, and more prosperous world. Today, our community has grown to millions of members who come to Skillshare to learn creative and entrepreneurial skills, network with peers, and even teach a class themselves. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.