Director of Engineering
We are dedicated to improving the search experience for publishers, advertisers, and consumers. With 20 years of search marketing expertise and innovative consumer search technology, our goal is to add value to every search.
At adMarketplace, we create the best of breed advertising technology using cutting-edge architectures with millisecond response time and crunch through terabytes of data every day. The ideal candidate is motivated designing for massive scale, developing for low latency and pushing the boundaries of using real-time data in automated decisions. Our team uses a modern tech stack including Akka, Scala, Kafka, Java8+, Kubernetes, AWS and more.
What You’d Do:
- Inherit and manage a team of 10+ engineers on day one.
- Lead, own and drive projects from start to completion including system architecture design, code design, development, and integration
- System stability projects: documentation/development/monitoring/metrics/recovery standards and practices.
- System scalability projects: cloud migration, containerization.
- Real-time Conversion Tracking platform.
- 24/7 low latency large-scale distributed Ad Serving and Click Tracking platforms.
- Work closely with product and business stakeholders on understanding and translating business requirements into technical solutions and with Technical PM on project execution
- Mentor and manage the Engineering Team (10+ engineers working in small groups/pods)
- Develop the skills and talents of others and improve engineering culture
- Implement best-practice software engineering methods
- Provide guidance, direction, and support
- Active participation in growing the engineering team (hiring)
- Represent the Engineering Team in cross-functional projects, meetings and to the company at large
What We’d Like:
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline
- Must have a strong foundational knowledge of software engineering and 7+ years of hands-on development experience using Java with a dependency injection framework (Java 8 and Akka preferred)
- Must have 5+ years of experience developing/delivering and maintaining multiple complex, low latency, scalable, mission-critical systems
- Must have exceptional leadership, communication, and project management skills and 3+ years of experience managing and leading engineering teams and projects
- Ability to design complete systems by collaborating with multiple teams and understanding testing, hardware and deployment methodologies
- Strong knowledge of algorithmic complexity/simplicity tradeoffs and effective use of data structures
- Good understanding of low latency messaging and asynchronous design patterns
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Operates with a vision and belief in developing the skills and talents of others
- Excellent documentation and troubleshooting skills
- Is a plus:
- Digital advertising industry experience
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Akka, Scala, Kafka, RabbitMQ, MySQL, Python, Vertica, and Aerospike (NoSQL)
- Basic understanding and/or interest in Machine Learning
- Experience with project management or Jira
- Experience with DevOps