Engineer: Public API/CLI
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building APIs our community of developers love.
Our community loves us for our powerful, easy to use tools and interfaces. We help them scale their business to the next level. We are looking for engineers to join our API Engineering team.
API Engineering works closely with our community and our internal teams; this role is an excellent fit for someone who is highly collaborative. We are involved in all aspects of API strategy and development: collaborating with product strategy and UX; partnering with internal dev teams on design and architecture of endpoints; strategizing with SRE and security; and working with developer relations and customer support to provide our developer community with tools they love. API Engineering owns the API infrastructure: our gateways and middleware, the clients and CLIs, as well as a growing suite of tools to build, maintain and monitor endpoints. Much of our code is open source.
API Engineering team members are currently a mix of remote and onsite. DigitalOcean supports this position being fully remote. If you’d prefer to be in an office, this position can be based out of our New York or Cambridge offices.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Growing our Golang API middleware layer, which our developers use to implement endpoints for our public HTTP gateway.
- Collaborating with engineers, UX, product, support, data science and more to provide a consistent, coherent public API.
- Building out the API contract testing ecosystem and associated workflows.
- Streamlining the tooling and workflow for how our internal developers maintain the clients and CLIs that our customers use to interact with DigitalOcean features.
- Partnering with our infrastructure teams for shared infrastructure needs (Auth, Deployment, Observability).
- Interacting directly with the developer community via Github PRs, etc.
- Empathy for our developer users and the customers/stakeholders you support.
- Passion for delivering simple and elegant solutions that developers will love.
- Expertise working cross-functionally with distributed teams.
- Opinions about API, client and CLI design: Who are the inspirational/aspirational companies doing it well or not so well in your estimation?
- Some familiarity/experience with at least two of REST, GraphQL, and gRPC, extensive knowledge of at least one.
- Understanding of API versioning strategies, access control, and other best practices.
- Familiarity with Terraform is a plus.
- Familiarity with OpenAPI v3 and/or API contract testing a plus.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation. We provide all employees reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.