Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 500 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
Role and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Engineering team at the ground floor and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
As an Engineering Lead at Orchard, you own the on-time, successful delivery of a team’s work. To accomplish this, you are expected to participate in cross-functional alignment on project requirements and timelines. You guide the engineering team in successfully translating developer needs into a plan of action that leads to enabling high-quality and high-velocity product development. In the process, you drive the team’s engineering systems and processes to deliver internal products that continually improve the Orchard developer experience. Depending on the candidate, you may be responsible for managing a team of developers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams, where engineers take ownership of feature development from end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary) to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
The ideal Engineering Lead candidate will have 5+ years of professional experience, with 1+ years of experience leading teams who are creating, updating and maintaining web applications and/or services.
In this role you will:
- Play an active role in hiring and developing our engineering team.
- Work with business stakeholders to design and architect solutions to our business problems.
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer facing products.
- Help to craft and iterate on our technology infrastructure to enable the growth and scale the business needs to succeed.
- Maintain continuously tested, scalable, and applications and services. As well as a well written, clean, testable code base which allows for moving quickly while delivering quality.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, identify, manage, mentor, and grow top engineering talent.
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with any of AWS, Postgres, SQL, Airflow, Docker, CircleCI, or Karma is a plus.
- Experience leading an agile team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code regularly using CI/CD tools.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves
- Strong problem solving skills
- Real estate domain experience is a plus
- 5+ years experience in software engineering, at least 2 of them in a Lead/Manager capacity
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Results orientation with a high motor and an incredible attention to detail; able to drive projects from planning to completion with limited oversight
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills to work across diverse stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- A low ego and can-do attitude; willingness to admit mistakes and work to remedy them
- Flexibility to prioritize deliverables and re-prioritize them at a moment’s notice
- Comfort operating in an ambiguous environment where there's not a set playbook on how to solve each problem
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're continuing to work from home until it's safe for all employees to return to the office. Our offices are open for our team members who would like to come in on a voluntary basis and for team members who work in essential in-office roles. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all employees currently working in our office spaces are required to show proof of vaccination. We anticipate making an official return to the office on a hybrid basis in January of 2022 and are excited to see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.