Engineering Manager, Core Marketplace
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 2 out of 3 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive marketplace where teachers have created more than 3 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than five million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher. Two out of three teachers currently use TpT.
The Core Marketplace team powers fundamental components of our stack while also building across TpT to create a first-class customer experience. Core Marketplace enhances, maintains, and owns our checkout, billing, payout, order management, and tax systems. Most recently, Core Marketplace has improved our Seller experience by launching tax collection, reporting, and remittance across a number of different resource types and tax jurisdictions.
As the Engineering Manager for Core Marketplace, you will help shape the long-term product & technical vision while also own its implementation. Like all engineering managers at TpT, you will manage product goals and execution, set technical direction, and grow the engineers on your team.
- Lead and grow a team of full-stack, front-end, and back-end engineers to help TpT reach its full potential.
- Shape our long-term vision for our Core Marketplace offering and how the work integrates with the broader TpT engineering platform.
- Ensure the health, reliability, and performance of our marketplace from a technical standpoint.
- Take ownership and responsibility for producing maintainable, monitorable, and highly available software systems.
- Be an active member of the engineering community by blogging and speaking about your experiences at TpT.
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- 3+ years of engineering management experience leading high performing teams tackling difficult problems.
- Strong communicator who can crisply explain complex technical concepts.
- Collaborates with product managers, community relations, and other engineering leaders in the org.
- Comfortable with lean engineering and agile project management practices with a track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects.
- Loves to move fast and iterate to create high-quality products.
Extra credit for experience with:
- eCommerce and/or marketplaces