Engineering Manager, Internationalization at WeWork Technology
About the Role
We are looking for a seasoned Senior Engineering Manager to lead our growing Internationalization team where you will contribute to our continued effort of creating a truly globalized product and culture. You will play a key role in supporting teams across the organization in their internationalization efforts, and participate in building out WeWork’s I18n frameworks to support the production of high quality localized content in over 28 languages for over 400,000 WeWork members worldwide. In addition to taking part in the larger conversation around the future of I18n at WeWork, you will be working directly with the product teams you support, to champion I18n standards, to provide and track metrics on I18n compliance, and to ensure that the engineers on those teams are supported and can use WeWork’s growing library of I18n to ensure their product is internationalized & localized.
- Establish the vision and strategy of supporting our users globally in their desired language throughout all of our tech stacks
- Build, mentor, and lead a world-class team of engineers
- You'll add your expertise and experience to WeWork’s I18n IQ as a champion and evangelist for the development of holistically globalized software
- You're able to contribute to the delivery of key libraries, services, and tools within the WeWork I18n & L10n ecosystem
- Build repeatable, automated processes and shared tooling to enable scalable product localization and reduce the engineering cost of adding new locale support
- Document I18n implementation tasks, and provide architectural, implementation, and design advice to engineering teams for ongoing product development
- Contribute to the development and implementation of I18n testing workflows and best practices in order to provide engineering teams with I18n compliance feedback and product teams with visibility into changes in coverage over time
- You can assist in resolving I18n bugs on an as needed basis
- 6+ years of relevant industry experience at fast growing start up, with 3+ years of managing a team
- Hands on I18n / L10n software development experience with a track record of shipping successful I18n projects (prefer experience with web projects)
- A real passion for producing localizable software and a strong desire to expand your knowledge in this area
- Expertise in at least one scripting language like Python
- Experience working with APIs to build integrations
- Experience with gettext-based tools and TMS (translation management systems) including CAT (Computer-Aided Translation), TMs (translation memories), glossaries, and common localization file formats
- Experience or interest in working with different scripts and encodings, bi-di, CJK, Indic languages
- Proven understanding of character encoding and why it matters
- Understanding of and dedication to CLDR standards
- Ability to clearly communicate to technical and non-technical audiences
- BS degree or higher
Nice to have
- Experience with mobile SDKs for iOS and Android
- Familiarity with cloud-based TMS (preferably Smartling)
- Fluency in a language other than English
WeWork Technology is bridging the gap between physical and digital platforms, providing a delightful, flawless & powerful experience for members and employees. We build software and hardware that enables our members to connect with each other and the space around them like never before.
We augment our community and culture teams through the tools we build. We believe there’s a macro shift toward a new way of working—one focused on a movement towards meaning and purpose. WeWork Technology is proud to be shaping this movement.
We are a team of passionate, fearless and collaborative problem-solvers distributed globally with one goal in mind - to humanize technology across the world.
The We Company is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in all its forms. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.