Engineering Manager, Platform
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 3 out of 4 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive online marketplace where teachers have created 4 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than six million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher.
Who we are looking for:
We’re a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
The Platform engineering teams are at the core of TpT Engineering. We build the infrastructure, services and tooling that power our rapidly growing TpT marketplace. As an engineering manager for our Platform teams, you will build and mentor teams to develop and maintain a world-class platform for rapid product development.
You will enable the broader engineering team to build better products for our educators. In this role you will drive the technical roadmap for the platforms and tools used to develop, deliver and monitor services at TpT.
You will be responsible for discovering and defining problems, framing and monitoring success metrics, implementing solutions, and following up on feedback - all while load, users, and transactions are increasing.
In this role, you will:
- Lead, recruit, and manage engineers to deliver a world-class buying and selling experience to educators
- Provide architectural expertise to the engineering team and establish best practices on code quality and performance
- Build confidence in our systems through automated testing, continuous integration, monitoring, and analytics
- Implement tools, provide architecture-level and code-level feedback
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- At least one year of engineering management experience leading high results-oriented teams
- Track record of successfully developing the careers of direct reports
- Comfortable with lean engineering and project management practices with a track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects
- Loves to move fast and iterate to create high-quality platforms usable by Product Engineering teams
- Experience operating service oriented web applications at scale
- Strong ability to evaluate technical tradeoffs
- Well formed opinions on quality and maintainability of technical systems
- Interest in working in a fast paced tech and product oriented company
Extra credit for experience with:
- Experience with technologies we use in our stack like Node.js, React, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Chef
- OSS Contributor
- Knowledge of Ed-Tech
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.