Engineering Manager: Release Engineering at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building tools that improve developer experience and productivity at DigitalOcean.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our IaaS Engineering organization at DigitalOcean. You will lead a team of talented software engineers as you help engineer and operationalize development productivity tools including GHE, CI/CD tooling, Artifactory and others to enable our developers to build and release products in an efficient and painless manner. You will be hands-on architecting, delivering and operating critical tools and continually measuring productivity and adoption of platform services delivered to internal customers at DO. This position works with technology managers to improve the software engineering processes and practices associated with continuously building, deploying, and updating software and environments.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Manages and drives end-to-end process design, improvements, automation and management of the release engineering practice.
- Provides analysis to inform and educate tactical and strategic need for new telemetry and tooling
- Manages and continuously improves our CI/CD pipeline and process to increase automation and adoption.
- Maintains relationships and coordinate work between different development teams at DigitalOcean
- Engages with Technical Project Manager, Tech Lead and relevant stakeholders/teams to ensure specifications for services, tools and process requirements are met
- Ensures the Infrastructure/Application and system design at project/ program level meets architectural standards
- Informs build vs buy decisions for tools and services
- Demonstrates technical leadership while promoting professional development for engineering staff through timely feedback and coaching
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- 5 years of experience with DevOps in a Linux environment, preferably large compute clusters
- 5 years of experience in engineering management
- 7+ years of software design and development experience, solid foundation in computer science with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, OOPs, and software design
- Experience with application & service development in a cloud environment like AWS/Azure/GCP
- Python programming experience
- Proficient in platform design, architecture & administration and use of CLI tools
- Proficient in Git and similar repository management
- Experience with build systems (Makefiles/Scons), and release management tools (GHE, Gitlab, Jenkins)
- Experience with Linux management tools such as automated provisioning (puppet, razor), containers (docker), virtualization (VMware, KVM), etc. are pluses
- A strong interest and obsession with building quality software focused on enabling developers to iterate on their ideas.
- Genuine interest in DigitalOcean as a company and excitement to use our products in your projects (if you haven’t already!)
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!