Engineering Manager, Search
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 2 out of 3 of U.S. teachers come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into an education powerhouse where teachers have created more than 3 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than five million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just talk to a teacher about us. Or try this recent article in Forbes.
Who we are looking for
We’re a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate team work, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
The TpT Search and Personalization team is focused on helping educators find the right resource at the right time. We are seeking a hands-on, talented, innovative, motivated leader to join our team.
As the engineering manager for Search and Personalization, you will help shape the long-term product & technical vision and own its implementation. You will design and build data-driven technology to improve the lives of educators. You will help the team adapt to changing needs and grow as individuals.
Like all engineering managers at TpT, you will manage product goals and execution, set technical direction and guide product strategy while collaborating closely with other leaders and executives.
- Shape our long-term vision for Search and Personalization
- Make iterative, data-driven improvements to the Search experience
- Leverage machine learning to make personalized recommendations
- Recruit, lead, and mentor engineers to help TpT reach its full potential
- Be an active member of the engineering community by blogging and speaking about your experiences at TpT
Qualities for a successful candidate
- 3+ years of engineering management experience leading high performing teams tackling difficult problems.
- Strong communicator who can crisply explain complex technical concepts
- Collaborates with product managers, community relations, and other engineering leaders in the org
- Comfortable with lean engineering and project management practices with a track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects
- Loves to move fast and iterate to create high-quality data products
- Has a ship-it attitude
- Experience with search/information retrieval, recommendation systems, machine learning, or NLP.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training/work experience.
Bonus points for experience with
- eCommerce and/or marketplaces