Engineering Manager, Systems (Provisioning Team) at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building high performing teams that operate at scale
We are looking for a motivated and experienced technical manager to drive DigitalOcean’s fleet provisioning and tooling automation mission. This person will be responsible for motivating and growing engineers, working with engineering leads to evaluate performance and provide coaching where needed. This person will also have an understanding of virtualization, linux, operating system maintenance, fleet operations and automation. Reporting to the Sr. Engineering Manager of DigitalOcean’s Systems Engineering group, the Provisioning and Tooling Engineering Manager will lead the team responsible for the provisioning and tooling automation of bare metal servers composing DigitalOcean’s fleet.
As a rapidly growing cloud provider DigitalOcean’s need to automate provisioning and maintenance of bare metal hardware has become fundamental to the company's ability to scale. This position is an amazing opportunity to be a foundational part of building and scaling a developer focused modern cloud.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Recruiting, managing, and maintaining a world-class engineering team
- Responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects
- Collaborating with technical leads and contributing to the overall architecture, design, and development of core projects related to reducing operational costs of fleet management
- Building and developing processes to continuously improve engineering performance and quality
- Working with internal operational teams to ensure successful creation of tooling including requirement analysis, capture, and documentation
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire team.
- Boosting communication and facilitating ongoing continuous feedback loops between engineers, the engineering leads and operational teams
- Providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings, etc
- Monitoring and reviewing each engineer's progress related to development goals and KPIs
- Organizing regular performance appraisals
- Planning and executing relevant training for the engineering team
- 2+ years of direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- 5+ years of experience in technical leadership
- Domain expertise in provisioning automation, linux distribution support and devops tooling
- Experience with large scaled virtualized environments
- Experience introducing and growing a quick release development environment with short cycles
- Good cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and internal stakeholders
- Solid knowledge of end-to-end quality best practices
- Experience with staffing, interviewing, retaining and building high performing teams
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!