Engineering Manager at Talkspace
Our mission at Talkspace is to make therapy affordable and accessible to everyone. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Help over one million people feel better.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team in our NYC Headquarters to help coach, grow and empower our engineering team to develop and maintain our business critical systems. The ideal candidate has progressive backend technical experience, a demonstrated progression of management responsibility, sharp coding skills, and a passion for managing outstanding engineers in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be a hands on developer (Backend Preferred)
- Coach, mentor and grow full-stack developers, so they can form and sustain high performing engineerings teams
- Inspire, manage and lead engineering so they are happy, productively engaged and growing
- Build and lead software engineering individuals (hiring, handling promotions, onboarding/off-boarding, team-building, and processes).
- Participate in the design of new systems, as well as writing and reviewing code with your team
- Increase the performance, quality, security, and resiliency of our web services by defining non-functional requirements, optimizing production, and leading the response to production issues
- Champion the patterns and practices allowing us to frequently deploy with confidence
- 8 years experience developing software as an engineer with a minimum 2-3 years experience managing engineering teams of 8 full stack developers
- Strong leadership skills to motivate team members and know how to efficiently make important decisions.
- Strong communication skills to oversee personnel and foster collaboration with other organizational departments.
- Significant experience building and operating critical systems.
- 4-5 years of experience building and running cloud architectures
- Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and its members, delegate, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results.
- Expertise and interest in growing teams: interviewing junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a recruiting team, smoothly onboarding new team members.
- Good software engineering methodology: meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs.
- Display a high degree of adaptability in order to learn new technologies as needed and successfully manage the daily challenges of a technical environment.
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
You may be a good fit if you
- Are motivated by Talkspace's mission
- Appreciate agility, simplicity, and pragmatism
- Are passionate about quality, performance, reliability, and security
- Are comfortable working with a diverse set of programming languages and paradigms
Because we are on a mission to make the world a better place. Our focus to help people feel happy starts at Talkspace, where we connect, collaborate, and have fun. Monthly team outings, happy hours, in-house family-style lunches, office snacks, unlimited PTO, access to Talkspace products, ping pong table, and competitive benefits are just some of the ways we make Talkspace a great place to work. Do you want to save the world? Come join us!EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Talkspace is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.