Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 700 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams, where engineers take ownership of feature development from end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary) to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer-facing products
- Set technical standards for maintaining well-written, testable, and scalable applications and services that allow for moving quickly while delivering quality
- Own the architecture, reliability, and roadmap for products & systems under your purview
- Play an active role in hiring and mentoring other engineers
- Work with business stakeholders to design and architect solutions to our business problems
- Evaluate third-party and open source software to make decisions about what we build versus buy and where to buy
- Demonstrated ability to attract, identify, manage, mentor, and grow top engineering talent.
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with any of AWS, Postgres, SQL, Airflow, Docker, CircleCI, or Karma is a plus.
- Experience leading an agile team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code regularly using CI/CD tools.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and strong problem solving skills
- 5+ years experience in software engineering, at least 2 of them in a Lead/Manager capacity
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Results orientation with a high motor and an incredible attention to detail; able to drive projects from planning to completion with limited oversight
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills to work across diverse stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- A low ego and can-do attitude; willingness to admit mistakes and work to remedy them
- Comfort operating in an ambiguous environment where there's not a set playbook on how to solve each problem
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.