Front End Engineer at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
We have enormous and engaging technical challenges. Bread is designing an API that can drop easily into any e-commerce platform - both proprietary and off-the-shelf - as well as hosted and on-site. We need to verify online identity and predict fraud while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience. We gather user and financial information to approve and price credit, all in real time. And, we are using technology to explore new approaches to consumer credit marketplaces that have never been attempted before!
Your role at Bread:
- work with the rest of the engineering team to deliver new functionality to face merchants, consumers, investors, and internal users
- create beautiful user interfaces and elegant user experiences
- seamlessly roll out new product features to consumers across the world and on some of the biggest merchants platforms
What we are looking for:
- Experience developing rich, reliable, cross-browser-compatible web experiences
- Experience creating robust UI automation testing as part of the development process (such as Jest)
- An ability to translate designs into pixel-perfect HTML and CSS
- A passion for engineering and technology
Nice to have
- Some background in visual design
- Knowledge of financial products
- No fear of the back end. Our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have experience with other backend languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; or C++
- Knowledge of e-commerce platforms, like Magento, Shopify, Demandware, or others
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!