We are looking for an Engineering leader who can provide direction and guidance across execution, team development & growth, and technical strategy.
Why This Role Is Important Now
The BuzzFeed Engineering team of ~100 sits within the umbrella of BuzzFeed Tech, which is comprised of complementary disciplines such as Product Management, Design, Data, and Project Management. Our approach to engineering has evolved significantly from a Perl monolith to over 600 microservices, with a focus on developer effectiveness and growth.
Our business has also evolved tremendously. We now have four flagship brands: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, and HuffPost, each with their respective web and mobile apps. Across the brands, we have a diversified set of revenue lines: direct-sold advertising, programmatic advertising, commerce, subscription, partnership, licensing, and off-platform revenue.
In addition to consumer-facing apps, there is a rich portfolio of internal tools that power our internal operations for engineers, writers, video producers, finance, and more: intelligent content distribution, content management, revenue optimization, content recommendations, messaging, analytics, and machine learning. We are making investments in growth areas such as Quiz, Commerce, community, and mobile. This Engineering leader is more important than ever to ensure that our engineering organization is set up to power the BuzzFeed of today, and building for the BuzzFeed of tomorrow.
What You’ll Do
- Set technical direction: propose how to evolve our technical stack to match our current and future product needs.
- Provide high-level strategic guidance at all levels of the BuzzFeed tech stack. Able to boil down complex problems and help tech leads navigate through complex (sometimes urgent) technical decisions.
- Translate business and product priorities into a compelling engineering vision that helps engineering leads build focus and autonomy for their respective teams. Provide critical feedback throughout the implementation phase of the roadmap in order to sharpen focus and optimize execution.
- Optimize sequencing of work while balancing priorities, the team's long-term health, and individuals' growth aspirations.
- Coach Tech Leads to best match roadmap opportunities and individuals with the right set of competency x capacity x aspiration.
- Advise teams on what not to focus on, or when to take an alternative approach. Recognize and step in situations that require executive decisions.
- Make sure the trains run on time: hold teams accountable for target dates + quality to avoid unexpected post launch issues.
- Proactively flag and help teams resolve potential execution risks, including but not limited to knowledge, resource gaps, clarity of dependencies, etc.
Talent Development: Recruit + Retain + Grow
- Foster a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Continuously improve our management practices. Ensure engineering managers are set up for success while holding them accountable for the health, growth, and impact of their reports.
- Create growth opportunities for all engineers through mentorship or project opportunities.
- Promote an environment of knowledge sharing and constant learning.
- Be a good sounding board for Engineering Team Leads, especially first-time leads, as they gain clarity in their role, and help them lead their respective teams with product and design partners.
What You Have
- 10+ years of relevant technical experience across web, app, infrastructure, and data applications
- 3+ years leading leading a 100+ engineering organization
- 5+ years of experience of managing technical products, budgets, and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
- Manage, and hold accountable a motivated, distributed team, and demonstrated ability to bring people together against a set of strategies and goals
- demonstrated success delivering technical solutions in high-growth environments with a proven track record of innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer and focus
- Prior demonstrated experience being a catalyst for positive change, within a global, fast-paced growth environment
- Experience in translating strategy to tactical plans with execution and delivery.
- A healthy skepticism for the status quo and an unwillingness to settle
- An empathetic leadership style and have a strong self-awareness
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
About BuzzFeed Tech
BuzzFeed Tech is a group of about 150 product managers, engineers, data scientists, and designers that are focused on building great products and content experiences that bring our audience joy and truth. We’re a collaborative and friendly bunch that works in a typical agile way with sprints, JIRA, OKRs, and a close working relationship with management and stakeholders.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.