Manager, Engineering (UI) at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about building high performing teams that operate at scale.
The UI Engineering Team works to create the best experience possible for our customers and community. UI Engineering maintains the Cloud platform that unlocks the potential of our customers using DigitalOcean’s suite of services, our internal tooling, and works in partnership with UX to maintain, nurture, and advance our component library, Walrus. Our current stack consists of React, TypeScript, and GraphQL, though we also continue to support our legacy Ember application.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager, UI to help the team continue to execute on our goals and grow towards our vision of providing the best developer experience possible. The UI Engineering team has experienced significant scale over the past six months, and our ideal Engineering Manager, UI will continue our momentum by providing leadership, coaching and vision to take the team to the next level while working in partnership with our Product Managers to take DigitalOcean further. The ideal candidate will also exhibit strong empathy, from prior experience in the UI space, to DigitalOcean’s customers as they build their ideas on our platform. Delivering on the promise of simplicity amidst a sea of complexity is what propels us forward as a differentiator, and is firmly at our core.
The team is fully remote and includes engineers with a variety of experience. The UI Engineering team works with most every product and engineering team at DO while supporting our external developer community. The ideal candidate should be comfortable communicating vision and priorities to different stakeholders, developing the careers of engineers, and working throughout the organization to represent the mission.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Leading a highly-collaborative remote engineering team
- Fulfilling the role of Servant Leader to help the team achieve high standards of performance and product quality; accountable for that team’s performance and quality
- Guiding agile ceremonies and effective participation in those agile processes, including process improvements
- Collaborating with product owners, enterprise/staff architects and cross-functional teams to design simple, elegant, and operationally sustainable software solutions
- Developing personal growth plans, providing feedback, and supporting the goals of individual team members and the team as a whole
- Facilitating transparent, constructive communication and a fair, but growth-oriented, distribution of responsibilities between team members
- Supporting the professional goals and development opportunities for the team by providing coaching and counseling via mentoring, one-on-one meetings and regular performance appraisals
- Participating in recruiting new members to the organization; collaborating across the Senior Manager’s organization to employ the right staff to the right project giving their experience and career path
- Supporting the organization’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and utilize these KPIs to measure and report on the success of the team
- Direct experience with managing, coaching, and mentoring software engineers
- Experience leading through the use of agile methodologies in mixed environments (Scrum, Kanban, et al.)
- An appreciation for process and developing cross-disciplinary collaboration between engineering, operations, support, and product groups
- Coordinating and collaborating with adjacent UI Engineering subteams and their Engineering Managers when dependencies arise
- Enthusiasm for staffing, interviewing, growing, retaining, and unlocking the potential of high performing teams
- Communication, EQ, and organizational skills to drive cross-disciplinary collaboration experience between engineering, technical operations, and product groups
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and follow-up
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!