At CB Insights, we build software that predicts business and technology trends to help clients make sense of the future and drive their businesses forward using data. Our software aggregates millions of data points in real time on private companies and uses scientific methods to extract knowledge and insights from that data. We present those analytics through a dynamic user interface which enables our clients to find answers to their most important questions.
The role you'll play:
We are looking for a Platform Engineer to join our tech department to help us build out and architect our code base. This is a full stack role where you will be making architectural decisions to upgrade our existing systems and build new systems. You will be partnering with one of our Directors of Engineering to set broad architectural standards for our engineering department and ensure that these standards are followed.
Our tech culture promotes openness, collaboration and knowledge-sharing for a productive and successful workplace. Our career progression framework ensures that our engineers are confident in their goals and are able to plan steps to achieve them.
You will get to directly impact our platform and the entire engineering organization of an established startup.
If this sounds interesting to you, reach out and join CB Insights now!
About the team:
This team works on continuously improving our architecture and the productivity of our engineers. We have a culture of experimentation that allows you to try new things and make a big impact. You'll do this by working across all engineering teams, ensuring our engineering patterns and principles are shared and followed across the organization.
We believe this role will shape the future of the Architecture for the company.
Your main tasks:
- Work with the engineering department’s architectural leadership to establish and enforce coding practices and patterns.
- Analyze our platform and codebase to prioritize areas of improvement.
- Work with engineers to understand and prioritize fixing common sources of friction within the department.
- Apply our defined patterns to the existing codebase.
- Maintain and improve our internal tooling used for local development, as well as create new tooling as needed.
- Create pull requests for the engineering teams to help illustrate patterns and allow them to adopt them across their microservice ownership.
- Work with the product team to understand when the adoption of new practices can be baked into the product development pipeline.
What you bring to the table:
- 6+ years professional experience
- Expertise in any back end programming language (preferably Golang or Python)
- Relational database proficiency (e.g. MySQL, Aurora, Postgre SQL, Oracle)
- Proficiency using Docker, including troubleshooting issues and creating custom images.
- Shell programming experience.
- Proficiency developing in a Mac/Linux environment
- Believer in Lean and Agile values and principles for building software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Helpful, Humble Human
- Love for experimentation
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture: Happy, Helpful, Humble, Hungry. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 600k people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: Daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role, submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!