Principal Mechanical Engineer at Eight Sleep
Eight Sleep is the first sleep fitness company. At Eight Sleep we design products at the forefront of sleep innovation. Our mission is to fuel human potential through optimal sleep. We use innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better.
Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, we’ve raised 68 million to date. We were recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics in 2018.
Our temperature-regulated smart bed, the Pod is an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. It was named one of Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2019. We’re excited by the recognition and still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission.
- Architect detailed design of plastic and metal components around electromechanical systems for consumer electronics products
- Work with MEs, EEs, Designers, Manufacturing, and Product team members to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products
- Perform thermal, fluid, and structural analysis of individual components and sub systems to achieve performance goals and drive system architecture
- Make detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of all parts and assemblies. Define materials, processes, components and systems for the product
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product
- Perform tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation
- Work with vendors and manufacturing teams to develop new manufacturing processes, develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures
- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and equipment to qualify the mechanical design and product assembly for mass production
- Travel internationally to support bring-up and qualification of mass production. (20%)
- 7+ years of product design experience, with expert knowledge of engineered plastics (forming, bonding, and material properties), sheet metal forming and electro-mechanical systems for thermal transfer (pumps, heat exchangers, fans
- Has hands-on experience using advanced simulation modules (FEA, CFD, mold flow, etc) within 3D CAD systems
- Comfortable mocking up electromechanical features using Arduino or similar prototyping methods
- Has knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes
- Experienced with DFM and DFA design techniques, tolerance stack-up analysis, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing
- Possesses a solid understanding of root cause analysis, DOE, GD&T, and other quality measuring techniques
- You hold an advanced degree in mechanical engineering
- You have launched several products to market, including products with multiple complex subsystems
- You were the principal mechanical engineer of at least one product from concept to launch
Why you’ll love Eight Sleep:
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team that’s working to improve people’s lives by improving the way they sleep
- Leadership is committed to employees’ wellness and career development
- You’ll get a better night sleep every night; all full-time employees receive the Pod
- Flexible, generous PTO
- 100% employer contribution for medical/dental/vision insurance
- Weekly company sponsored fitness classes
- Discounted gym memberships, commuter benefits
- Weekly team happy hours and lunches
- Office snacks
At Eight Sleep we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our values by ensuring everyone feels they can flourish and grow. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.