Scala Engineering Manager
Scala Engineering Manager
WW is looking for candidates to help change people's lives. We are a global wellness technology company inspiring millions of people to adopt healthy habits for real life. We do this through engaging digital experiences, face-to-face workshops and sustainable programs that encourage people to move more, shift their mindset and eat healthier while enjoying the foods they love. By drawing on over five decades of experience and expertise in behavioral science, we build communities in order to deliver wellness for all. To learn more about WW and jobs with a purpose, visit ww.com.
- Reporting to the Director of Software Engineering, manage and mentor a team of dedicated engineers focused on delivering high performance, high scale production systems and applications.
- Recruitment: devise technical exercises, phone-screen candidates, conduct on-site interviews
- Provide technical oversight of planned development across a number of product-driven crews from a backend Scala perspective
- Be a touchpoint for technical inquiries from product managers, scrum masters, and customer support
- Act as engineering ambassador in discussions with other engineering departments
- Promote information and skill-sharing across our engineering teams in New York City and San Francisco
- Understanding and encouraging best SDLC best practices within the team
- Be an evangelist for WW Engineering team in meetups, conferences, blogs, etc.
- 5+ years of full lifecycle OO software development
- 3+ years of experience hiring, leading and developing a team of back end engineers
- Proven ability to perform constructive code, design, and architecture reviews
- Nuanced understanding of agile practices and the SCRUM software lifecycle
- Strong track record of shipping products
- Advanced debugging skills and knowledge of common analytic tools and techniques
- Previous experience working in a Scala SDK and the JVM environment
- Understanding of common Scala libraries/Frameworks (e.g., Play, Akka)
- Understanding of good RESTful API design and microservice architectures
- Solid understanding of concepts Scala makes available such as proper use of implicits, the Scala Type system, modeling domains via ADTs and Type Classes, currying, concurrency via Futures/Actors and several other import concepts for writing expressive and performant code
- Experience collaborating with Product, Design, and UX to deliver the best outcome for everyone
- Ability to switch between several different contexts on a daily basis
As a company, our purpose is to inspire healthy habits for real life. And as an employer, we inspire the greatest people to do their best work. We provide benefits for real life to help protect your health, finances and overall wellbeing, including:
- Competitive compensation and profit sharing plan
- A 401K plan to help you plan for your future, plus company match
- Health care coverage starting on your first day
- Tuition reimbursement and online courses to help you reach your career aspirations
- Commuter benefits
- Yearly well-being allowance for your physical, financial, social and emotional well-being
- Free WW membership for you plus 3 free WW memberships for your friends and 3 for your family
- Free fruit, snacks and coffee to get you through your day
- Summer Fridays, happy hours, and company outings
- Robust employee referral bonuses
- Developmental opportunities and assignments to grow your career
WW is an equal opportunity employer. WW does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory results of reference and background checks.