Senior Director - Purchase Journey (893) at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
As the Director of Engineering in our Homeowner Experience organization, you will work closely with talented engineers, product managers, designers, data scientists and executive leaders throughout the company to build products that will allow Better to scale rapidly.
- Lead a team of customer focused engineers that is building a suite of products to make the home buying process easier, faster and more delightful for our customers
- Making magic out of a complex and antiquated industry through intense focus on simplification
- Build deep institutional knowledge of the mortgage process and customer journey
- Partnering with cross functional teams like Design, Product, Sales, Operations, etc.
- Bringing your solutions to market through ownership of the full engineering lifecycle: problem identification, solution design, spec, implementation and validation
- Go deep into both technical huddles with engineers and strategic discussions with executives
- Manage competing priorities with consistency and transparency
- You're a strong technical manager with 10+ years of experience
- You have experience leading multiple teams and staff level engineers, as well as mentoring managers
- Experience leading technical initiatives with impact across multiple teams
- Experience building out processes and recruiting in an organization undergoing hyper growth
- You empower your team to make decisions and have a track record of enabling engineers and engineering managers to grow professionally
- You’re interested in solving complex problems that have a real world impact
- Strong Computer Science Engineering background, Master Degree preferred.
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- Services written in Node.js, Python (3.6) and Go that expose APIs using GraphQL or OpenAPI
- React, CSS in JS, Apollo/GraphQL, webpack, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and their families, and we require vaccines out of an abundance of caution. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.