Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $2 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
As a Senior Engineering Manager on the Mortgage Engine team, you will play a pivotal role in driving that innovation. You will work closely with amazingly hardworking engineers, designers, data scientists and executive leaders throughout the company to build products that will allow Better to scale rapidly.
We work on some of the most strategic areas of the business; you will lead teams focusing on:
- Credit Decisioning: How do we build a sophisticated decisioning process that is faster, consumer focused and more accurate than anything else on the market. How do we save our customers time? How can machines read financial documents accurately? How do we use consumer financial graphs to power ‘better’ personal experiences?
- Sales & Operations Efficiency: Building world class tools that allow our sales and operations teams to communicate with customers like no other mortgage team in the world can. This position is instrumental to creating technology in which our customers feel valued and in the know.
- Loan Origination: How do we originate loans faster? How can we provide our consumers a streamlined closing process that is how they want it and when they want it? How can we make this antiquated process more reliable & provide more visibility at every step?
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you'll be growing, managing, and mentoring Engineering Managers and Senior Software Engineers across multiple teams. Projects that your teams could be working on include:
- Build a system to evaluate thousands of rules and do a combinatorial search to find out what’s the best loan and how much can you afford
- Build out models to prioritize workflows across 5000+ people
- Work on our Kubernetes cluster that helps us deploy 50-100 times/day with no downtime
- Experiment with tools to do OCR on documents
- Build a Realtor recommendation engine
The tech team is currently 100+ engineers and growing quickly
Our CTO, Erik Bernhardsson, used to run the data and music recommendation team at Spotify. He is the open source author of a few popular projects like Annoy and Luigi and writes a blog about (mostly) dataBetter technology:
- We ship code 50-100+ times every day
- Node.js with Typescript, Python and Go for services
- React, Ember.js, Typescript on the frontend
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse
- Kafka and ActiveMQ for messaging
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, using EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- You are a manager with 5+ years of experience
- You have been a Senior Engineering Manager or in a similar role managing engineering managers and staff level engineers
- Experience managing technical initiatives spreading across multiple teams
- Experience in a fast growing organization building out processes and teams
- Experience working with complex problems involving multiple partners
- Are happy to give your teams a lot of freedom as long as they deliver
- You’re interested in managing a software engineering team and solving complex problems that have a real world impact
If most, or all, of these match you and your experience you’re probably a great fit for this role!
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.