Senior Engineering Manager (Real Estate) at Better
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
As a Senior Engineering Manager on the Real Estate team, you will play a pivotal role in driving innovation. You will work closely with amazingly hard working engineers, designers, data scientists and executive leaders throughout the company to build products that will allow Better to scale rapidly.
This is a new and rapidly growing area of our business; you will lead teams focusing on:
- Ingesting Real Estate data: We are working to build transformative customer experiences to help them navigate the complicated process of homebuying. In order to power that, we are going to ingest real estate data from various sources to give mortgage borrowers more understanding of what homes they can afford in what areas and the amenities and things nearby.
- Providing a rich property search experience via APIs: The real estate team is building a platform and single source of truth for real estate data, this team will have to make sure it’s appropriately searchable and accessible via API for the rest of the teams within the company to access
- Agent-facing experiences: As a digital lender, how can we recreate or improve upon some of the in-person or phone interactions that happen between a real estate agent and their customer’s mortgage lender? We’re trying to figure that out
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you'll be growing, managing, and mentoring Engineering Managers and Senior Software Engineers across multiple teams and solving mostly greenfield problems. While this is a software engineering leadership role, due to the nature of the work with a significant amount being backend and data infrastructure, some experience in data engineering or devops would be a plus.
Key things we’re looking for:
- Technical abilities
- The candidate person should have been an engineer and have built complex systems
- While this role is not hands-on, the expectation is that this person would feel comfortable getting hands-on and in this manner able to coach their team on making excellent technical decisions
- Understands a modern stack including things like:
- Docker and Kubernetes
- Microservice architecture
- Leadership Experience
- Leading multiple teams of engineers
- Mentoring and coaching engineering managers
- Coaching a first-time manager into their first eng manager role
- Have done a significant amount of recruiting
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- Services written in Node.js, Python (3.6) and Go that expose APIs using GraphQL or OpenAPI
- React, CSS in JS, Apollo/GraphQL, webpack, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.