We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead the student experience team, which is responsible for delivering solutions that give our creators the flexibility, reliability, control, and insights for fulfilling engaging student experiences in a scalable way.
As a part of the engineering leadership team, you will help build the team’s technical vision and direction as well as establish processes and drive initiatives that result in technical, operational, and cultural improvements across the engineering team.
While you will not be expected to write critical path code, you will be directly managing individual contributors and engineering leads and will be expected to have a working knowledge of our architecture and have the technical ability to provide technical strategy. You are adept at achieving results not through micromanagement but rather through empowering your teams and helping them to run autonomously. Above all else, you are an outstanding people manager who cares deeply about the well-being and growth of your engineers with a track record of coaching your team members to success and developing their careers.
This position reports to the Director of Engineering, Core.
Read up more about engineering here in How We Code at Teachable
- Manage, coach, and mentor 4-8 direct reports; provide performance feedback, and help them grow and develop their careers
- Establish and improve team processes in all areas including software development, operational efficiency, and delivery to achieve operational excellence.
- Partner with engineering leadership to help determine engineering team strategy, tackle team-wide inefficiencies, and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Drive management initiatives across the technology organization, e.g hiring, career development, policies, budgets, etc.
- Lead engineering-wide guilds, projects, activities e.g Frontend or Backend guilds, hackathons etc.
- Collaborate and communicate with other teams (Product, Design, QA, Customer Ops, Marketing) on crossfunctional initiatives.
- Ensure the successful and timely execution of team projects and operations
- Strategizes and executes hiring plans for their team(s).
What We’re Looking For
- 8+ years of engineering experience, with 3+ years in engineering management leading highly effective teams.
- Managed 1-2 teams with a track record of delivering high-quality products in scalable web applications
- Proficient at project management; has a track record of making tradeoffs to deliver projects on time with high quality
- Managed individual contributors, engineering leads to progress in their careers.
- Experience leading technical initiatives with impact across multiple teams or domains.
- Thrives in ambiguity and can make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance
- The relentless drive for continuous improvement and ownership with proven ability to instill in their teams
- Has effectively recruited, hired, and led diverse engineering teams.
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.