Senior Server Engineer at Radar
Radar is developer-friendly, privacy-first location data infrastructure. Location underpins many of the apps that we use every day, from hailing a ride to tagging photos to ordering food. The problem is that building solutions with location is still too challenging, clunky, and expensive. We’re on a mission to solve this.
The company was founded in 2016 and backed by Accel, Two Sigma Ventures, Expa, Heavybit, and other great investors.
We are currently 30 employees based out of New York City and San Francisco.
About the role
Radar is looking for a Senior Server Engineer to design, build, operate, and scale our Geo APIs and data infrastructure.
We're already installed on 50M+ devices, processing 100B+ locations per year, and growing rapidly. We need to ingest massive amounts of location data and help our customers analyze and act on that data at scale. You'll face interesting architecture and scaling challenges from day one.
Our current API surface area includes geofencing, local search, geocoding, autocomplete, curbside pickup and more.
You will report to our Engineering Manager. This role is NYC based or remote.
What you’ll do:
- Help build API’s and data infrastructure leveraging caching, indexing, sharding, search, data warehousing, and analytics
- Use MongoDB, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kinesis, S3, Redshift, Athena, EMR, and more
- Write code in Node.js, Python, and SQL, and more
- Work with Product engineers at Radar to build a SaaS platform that scales to 100M+ devices, 100K+ qps, and terabytes of location data per day
- Work with open and proprietary Geo data to build API’s with outstanding data coverage, search ranking, and latency.
- Help push the latency limits of what is possible for low-latency endpoints like autocomplete (< 100ms), search, and other APIs
- 5+ years of server engineering experience
Expertise in several of: distributed systems, caching, indexing, sharding, search, dev-ops, and data warehousing
Experience scaling APIs (bonus if you've built or worked on an API handling 10K+ qps)
Experience writing technical documentation or blog posts, a plus
- Your own unique talents – we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet all the qualifications
You’ll work with:
- Tim Julien (CTO)
Jeff Kao (Engineering Manager)
Craig Kochis (Engineering Manager)
- Remote-first until at least July 2021
- Competitive compensation package and equity plan
- Medical, dental, and vision plans with 100% premiums covered for you
- Weekly catered lunch and snacks
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Flexible work hours and vacation policy
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Free CitiBike membership
- Monthly fitness reimbursement
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.