Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone .
We are looking for an inspired and motivated technical contributor to join the DigitalOcean Security Operations Center. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s Digital Forensic and Incident Response (DFIR) team, charged with improving the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively and proactively, ensuring a secure cloud infrastructure for both customers and internal users. You will gain skills in one or more of multiple focal areas including digital forensics, incident response, platform abuse, legal/regulatory enforcement, and enterprise security. You will use your analytical skills to identify and eliminate bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform or leverage your engineering skills to create innovative ways to detect and respond to potential threats.
With over 500,000 customers utilizing 10+ data centers and 10,000+ hypervisors every day, our Security Operations Center never loses sight of the role we play in making the internet a more secure place for everyone.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOcean’s entire production environment, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes and future directions.
- Handling live intrusions and incident response cases, in a customer-oriented and transparent manner, to minimize the impact of bad actors on the internet.
- Collect digital artifacts from cloud systems for analysis to reconstruct what may have transpired on a system.
- Analyzing network traffic to identify compromised systems, negate denial of service attacks, and pinpoint resource abuse.
- Identifying trends in abusive activity, communicating with leadership to keep them apprised, and advocating for appropriate product changes to prevent future occurrences.
- Acting as a point of contact for security and related incidents: providing supporting data for critical issues, downtime events, and Post-Mortem reports.
- Helping build tools to identify or automate response to abusive activity.
- Building strong relationships with the other technical teams across our engineering and infrastructure functions to harden account, platform, and service structures to combat intrusions, compromises, and disruptive activities.
- Experience handling live incident response activities transparently, in a fast-paced team environment where accuracy of analysis determines business impact.
- Ability to differentiate between normal and unusual resource usage patterns in customer and employee network/system behaviors in order to hunt for subtle anomalous patterns.
- Both dead-disk and live digital forensics experience, especially on Linux or Unix systems using open source tools (eg, volatility, sleuthkit) in an enterprise production environment at scale.
- Data analysis skills, including familiarity with relational databases, structured query languages, logging infrastructures, and data visualization tools (eg, looker, grafana).
- Familiarity with basic static and dynamic malware analysis for triage, identification, prioritization, and remediation of new malware families and behaviors (x86_64 preferred).
- A high degree of curiosity and aptitude, with a clear passion for security and the desire to keep our employees, customers, and the internet safe.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills to include; technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring.
- Consistently improving security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- Bonus: Experience in one or more of the following:
- Vulnerability Analysis, Scoping, and Mitigation Planning
- Threat Intelligence Collection / Analysis / Dissemination
- Network Protocol Analysis
- Coding, automation, or scripting skills
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!