Senior Software Engineer - Compute at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As an Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will orchestrate tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If you're passionate about Virtualization, Linux, and Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you.What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing and building the services that provide the building blocks for Droplets, Load Balancers, Kubernetes, DBaaS, and future DigitalOcean functionality.
- Designing next generation hypervisor management and virtual machine placement scheduling services.
- Designing, implementing, optimizing, and testing virtualization configurations using anything from scalable containerized applications to low level services running on every hypervisor.
- Designing, implementing, testing and optimizing new services that run at scale and solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Working with our product teams to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Driving architecture for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with scalable solutions.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- The ability to define and drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, and across departments.
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, C/C++, Java, Perl.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming and/or virtualization (such as libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Namespaces and Containers)
- Record of creating improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Familiarity with Chef, Ansible, and/or Puppet
- A commitment to monitoring and observability
- Operational familiarity with Linux servers
- Strong opinions, weakly held
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!