Senior Software Engineer, Media Engineering
Scale matters. And when it comes to our video platform, scale means ingesting tens of thousands of hours of video a day and thousands of videos served every second.
JW Player is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Media Engineering team in our New York City headquarters. Our video platform serves thousands of videos every second. To support that much traffic, we design and build with an eye on speed, flexibility, high availability, and the mission of making sure our customers’ viewers can watch what they want, when they want it.
The right candidate will relish the opportunity to build well-designed elements of a service-oriented architecture. This means collaborating with other smart professionals to build the APIs, infrastructure, pipelines, testing, monitoring, and all other tooling you feel is necessary to ship code frequently and of the highest possible caliber.
As a member of the Media Engineering team, you will:
- Contribute to the architecture of production-scale services
- Code as part of a high-performing team in an Agile environment
- Create reusable tools that can be used by other teams
- Tackle architectural challenges around high availability of services and data
- Prototype new ideas and explore new solutions to the growing list of problems the platform solves
- Continue to learn and expand your knowledge and skillset
You have the skills to be successful in this role if you have:
- 7+ years of software development and engineering
- Bachelor's in Science or greater in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field; or equivalent experience
- Desire to join a highly technical team in a fast-paced environment
- Proven track record of ownership of maintainable, stable and scalable software
- Experience building scalable systems with cloud infrastructures like AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Strong Unix/Linux skills
- Experience in Python or a similar language
It is a plus if you have:
- Contributed to existing open-source projects as well as your own
- Experience with Docker and/or Linux Containers
- Experience with configuration management and provisioning servers (SaltStack, Consul)
- Experience with service-oriented architecture
- Experience with event-driven or message-driven architecture
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.