Senior Software Engineer: Network Services at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about solving large scale complex distributed system challenges.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with expertise in Distributed Systems and Networking to build cutting edge Network Software that will run on tens of thousands of hypervisors and bare-metal servers across our global infrastructure network. Reporting to the Engineering Manager: Network Services, the Senior Software Engineer will write software, build microservices and solve complex distributed systems problems. They will be responsible for building the next generation of software-defined networking on our platform: providing flexible, yet simple, primitives that our customers have come to love.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Solving problems with distributed patterns to reduce bottlenecks, single points of failures and inter-dependencies of our many regions.
- Designing and building highly efficient micro-services to enable new features and internal tooling around the virtual network stack.
- Solve complex database challenges and build solutions
- Come up with innovative ideas to improve performance and scalability in a large-scale distributed system
- Diving deep into the ocean of highly available & fault-tolerant virtual networking.
- Participating in a team effort to harden our visibility on various network metrics.
- Using technologies and tools such as: Linux, Go, GRPC, Open vSwitch, Prometheus, Chef, MySQL, and others!
- Expertise with at least two of the following languages: Go, Perl, Ruby, C/C++
- Expertise building scalable, resilient and fault tolerant distributed systems using a microservices architecture
- Knowledge of networking and network layers
- Understanding of flexible and scalable database architecture
- Experience with scaling MySQL at significant levels including sharding
- Ability to self-organize and clearly communicate intent
- Understanding of the OSI model Layer 4 and above
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!