Senior Software Engineer, Scaling at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About our Team:
Our engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About this Job:
A software engineer with server-side development experience to work on our core software services. You’ll be implementing critical product features and working on technical infrastructure to enable performance and scaling. Utilizing a Java service-oriented architecture to create RESTful APIs that power our website, our mobile app and site, and our warehouse technology. Some technology you might work with includes Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, Redis, MySQL, and MongoDB.
What You'll Do:
- Develop highly scalable systems using a variety of tools and languages, including Java, Ruby, and multiple open-source technologies
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Help define architectural improvements to enable orders-of-magnitude growth in traffic and order volumes
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code
- 5 years + of full-time professional software development experience in Java.
- Fluency with computer science fundamentals
- Ability to pick up new tools and technologies as needed
- Experience working as part of a development team
- Ability to prioritize important tasks
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.