Senior Software Engineer - Scaling
At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion.We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About our Team:
Our engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About this Job:
A software engineer with server-side development experience to work on our core software services. You’ll be implementing critical product features and working on technical infrastructure to enable performance and scaling. Utilizing a Java service-oriented architecture to create RESTful APIs that power our website, our mobile app and site, and our warehouse technology. Some technology you might work with includes Dropwizard, RabbitMQ, Redis, MySQL, and MongoDB.
What You'll Do:
- Develop highly scalable systems using a variety of tools and languages, including Java, Ruby, and multiple open-source technologies
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, and deployment
- Help define architectural improvements to enable orders-of-magnitude growth in traffic and order volumes
- Write clean, testable, and efficient code
- 5 years + of full-time professional software development experience in Java.
- Fluency with computer science fundamentals
- Ability to pick up new tools and technologies as needed
- Experience working as part of a development team
- Ability to prioritize important tasks
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.