Senior Software Engineer (System Virtualization) at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for an empathetic engineer who is familiar with some (not all) of our stack and tools, has a willingness and aptitude to grow into the role, is comfortable working remotely, and is excited by the idea of contributing to open source projects and our mission to create simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, the Senior Software Engineer will help us drive improvements to our virtualization stack.
Our Stack: C, Chef, Go, libvirt, Linux, KVM, Python, QEMU
Our Tools: Concourse, Docker, Elasticsearch, Github Actions, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The larger team, supported by the Director of Systems, is currently made up of a diverse group of about forty engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany. The Virtualization teams, supported by the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, account for approximately one-third of the Systems team. Within our team, there are growth opportunities along several tracks (i.e. Tech Leader, Subject Matter Expert (SME), and Engineering Manager).What You’ll Be Doing:
Helping us solve problems, of course! Which ones? Here’s three of the biggest areas we need help with:
- Virtualization Stack (i.e. QEMU / Libvirt): Are you a QEMU enthusiast? You’re not alone! Come help us add support for new hardware types and define the future of virtualization at DO!
- Intra-Hypervisor Virtual Machine (VM) Placements (i.e. NUMA balancing and scheduling using Go): Do you like hard problems? Achieving both good performance and density pose interesting challenges. Come help us solve them!
- Inter-Hypervisor Virtual Machine (VM) Placements (i.e. Live Migrations): Do you prefer working in C? Have a Libvirt or QEMU background? We do a lot of live migrations here, and we’d love your help optimizing our operations!
NB: If you believe you’re qualified but don’t necessarily meet all the expectations below, that’s ok. Submit an application, and make sure to include a cover letter telling us why you’d be a good fit for our team. I do my best to review and directly respond to every application that includes a personalized cover letter.
- Deep understanding of Linux and virtualization
- Deep experience in one or more of these areas: QEMU, HV Scheduling/Density, Live Migrations
- Significant experience with either C or Go
- Significant experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Significant experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Experience proactively addressing reliability issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Upstream QEMU or kernel contributions are a huge plus
- Oh, and we encourage team members to spend 5-20% on innovation, education, and/or open source
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!