Senior Software Engineer: Systems - Performance Engineering
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure, performant systems at scale.
We are looking for an empathetic engineer who is familiar with some (not all) of our stack and tools, has a willingness and aptitude to grow into the role, is comfortable working remotely, and is excited by the idea of contributing to open source projects and our mission to create simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Systems Kernel and Performance, the Senior Software Engineer will contribute to delivering on this mission by ensuring DigitalOcean’s operating system and virtualization stack is highly performant and competitive across the variety of DigitalOcean product offerings.
Our Stack: C, Go, Linux, Docker, K8s, libvirt, KVM, QEMU, Python, Ruby, Chef
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The larger team, supported by the Director of Systems, is currently made up of a growing, diverse group of about thirty engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany. You would be an individual contributor on the Systems Performance Engineering sub-team (working closely with the Systems Kernel Engineering Team), supported by the Engineering Manager of Systems Kernel and Performance.What You’ll Be Doing:
While work will vary based on quarterly priorities and initiatives, some examples include:
- Development of performance regression analysis testing automation
- Developing and maintaining realistic benchmark applications that emulate our customers’ environments
- Development of telemetry for fleet performance analysis
- Strategizing performance characteristics and parameters for new and future product offerings
- Triaging and fixing operating system issues impacting the performance of product offerings
- Performance analysis of OS stack and fleet hardware updates
- Consultation for product performance regressions and new product performance acceptance criteria
- Visualizing and presenting performance data to be leveraged for technology and business decisions
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
- Professional experience in performance engineering, with insights into collecting, tracing, measuring, analysing, tuning, and/or modeling
- A track record of improving systems performance
- Technical leadership experience (preferably in the Linux / open source space)
- Experience as a developer / engineer in a large scale, distributed environment
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Deep understanding of Linux and OS internals
- Experience proactively diagnosing performance issues across all layers of the stack
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with data analytics
- Machine learning experience is a huge plus
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!