Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about making the internet a safer place for everyone
We’re looking for an inspired and motivated senior technical contributor to join the DigitalOcean team as a Senior Threat Intelligence Engineer. In this role, you will be a key member of DigitalOcean’s security team, reporting to the Director of Security Operations. You will improve the security posture of DigitalOcean both reactively and proactively, as well as handling global incidents and making the internet a safer place. Threat Intelligence Engineers must excel at identifying vulnerabilities, building tactical and strategic mitigation plans, coordinating global response actions, and eliminating bad actors inside the DigitalOcean platform.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Interfacing with industry and global threat intelligence sharing partners to identify, isolate, contain, and eradicate bad actors on the internet.
- Guiding live intrusion response actions and incident response cases, in a customer-facing and transparent manner, by coordinating multi-agency rollups of major malicious campaigns.
- Performing community outreach, liaison, and public speaking in the hacker community to demonstrate DigitalOcean’s concern and leadership in the security community.
- Authoring and publishing both raw and finished threat intelligence products for stakeholders.
- Determining creative approaches to complex information security issues.
- Building strong relationships with the other technical teams across our engineering and infrastructure functions.
- Establishing an understanding of DigitalOcean’s entire production environment, from applications to infrastructure, keeping up-to-date with material changes and future directions.
- Coaching and mentoring other skilled security practitioners across application, information, and infrastructure security.
- A high degree of curiosity and aptitude, with a clear passion around security as a lifestyle.
- Significant Experience handling Incident Response actions in response to active intrusions
- A thorough understanding of threat models for: Abuse of Service (eg, cryptocurrency mining); Theft of Services (eg, piggyback hosting); Denial of Service Attacks; Botnets / Command and Control Patterns; Exploit Kit Behaviors; Malware Hosting; Bulletproof / Anonymous VPS Providers
- Established Track Record of successfully working with various Internet Service Providers on multi-platform global network security issues
- Ability to perform community outreach and speaking with the hacker community
- Experience understanding and resolving systemic security architecture problems (eg, Network Segmentation, Federated Identity, etc)
- Intellectual Curiosity and Self-Motivation to perform complex tasks
- Clear written and verbal communications skill to include; technical writing, presenting, coaching, mentoring
- Ability to provide and receive clear, direct, and honest feedback for continuous improvement
- A forward looking perspective on security engineering, tackling each problem with a degree of creativity that uses previous internal/external approaches as a data point, not a rulebook.
- An ability to stay optimistic in the face of all levels of proactive and reactive challenges, building security at scale is hard for everyone and you should be happy and energized by doing it.
- Consistently improving security as the platform scales, driving continuous improvement through data collection and correlation, being mindful that security should be an efficiency enabler for the business - not a detractor.
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym stipend to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC and Cambridge, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Security #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Security team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!