Site Reliability Engineer
About The Opportunity
Here at Grubhub we’ve been dedicated to giving diners the most convenient way to order food from their favorite restaurants (whether that’s a late night Chalupa from Taco Bell or a salad for lunch from a local restaurant the day after they enjoyed said late night Chalupa).
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 21.2 million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 140,000 restaurants in 2,700 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages).
Want to be a part of the biggest movement in the US that is moving eating forward? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Site Reliability Engineers are embedded in small Engineering teams and focus on the operational aspects of our services. Our SREs run their respective products and services from conception to continuous operation. We're looking for engineers who want to be a part of developing, scaling and maintaining complex, high throughput services.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
This fast paced Campus integration team at Grubhub, designs builds and operates the services and infrastructure that integrate with the various in-restaurant and campus oriented point of sale systems. Currently, we integrate with the top 10 systems and are actively developing more each quarter. We’re operating at scale - we service more than 300,000 orders daily, and some of the problems we’re solving now are providing concise monitoring around our infrastructure, defining SLI/SLOs, improving documentation of our processes and procedures, while still providing high-level intersystem functionality to support staff. Our team has helped build everything from a complex IoC system for alerting to an automated incident management platform and everything in between. If you enjoy focusing on reliability, performance and the automation of everything in an ever evolving environment you’d probably like this position.
You Should Have
- Python – our primary language for automation and backend services
- AWS (EC2, RDS, SQS, SNS, Lambda, IAM, VPC Networking)
- NewRelic, Grafana, Sentry, Splunk, Pager Duty
- Linux (Ubuntu)
WHAT’S ACTUALLY REQUIRED:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related experience
- Python development experience
- Experience with cloud hosted infrastructure (AWS)
- Experience with monitoring best practices (5 golden rules/RED method)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Mongo, redis, etc.)
- Programming experience in addition to Python (Perl, Go, etc.)
- Continuous integration, testing, and deployment
- Exceptional communication and troubleshooting skills
NICE TO HAVE:
- Working in an embedded team model
- Pager Duty Integration knowledge
- Experience with IaC (Terraform, Chef, etc)
- Experience with POS integration (Aloha, Xenial, etc)
- Experience with campus card systems (BlackBoard, CBORD, etc)
- Experience in git best practices
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO. It’s true, no strings attached and all the time you need to recharge.
- Better Benefits. Get quality insurance, flex-spending accounts, retirement options and commuter perks.
- Free Food. Kitchens are stocked and free Grubhub each week.
- Stock Up. All of our employees are owners, in fact, they’re granted Restricted Stock Units, which means we’re all in it to win it.
- Casual Culture. Catch rays on the rooftop or get comfy on a couch and get to know your coworkers — because work, should be a place you want to be.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.