Software Engineer, Ad Product at Group Nine Media
We are looking for a creative, front-end loving Software Engineer to join our Ad Product Pod on Group Nine Media’s Tech team in New York City, NY.
Group Nine Media is the parent company of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink and travel (Thrillist), news and entertainment (NowThis), animals and activism (The Dodo) and science, tech and exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion video views every month, meaning that the work you do here will be impactful and geared towards informing our readers on topics that matter.
We are a team of people from various social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds who value professional development and work/life balance. It’s our belief that our team and our work are both made better by our diversity. If this sounds like you, keep reading!MORE ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a member of this highly creative pod, you’ll work closely with our design and product teams to build beautiful, custom campaigns for Group Nine Media’s sponsors and advertisers. In addition to front-end work (where our team shines), you’ll also work with our engineering team to optimize the platform’s architecture to scale with each new project that we build. This team has a proactive research initiative to discover new interests, trends and technologies to pitch for future projects.
TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGIES
We’re working with a full-stack React application that runs on an Express server. Our campaigns include queries for data such as articles and media files that are stored in a Drupal CMS (we also control this data structure). Day-to-day workflow is managed using GitHub, JIRA, and Confluence.
- Making the Neighborhood (Thrillist x GMC)
- Destination: Dogtown USA (The The Dodo x GoRVing)
Some questions/considerations you might face in this role might include:
- How can we continue to build a codebase of custom campaigns in a sustainable and scalable way?
- How can we collaborate effectively with the Design and Product teams to make informed technical decisions and find creative solutions for each project?
- How can we ingest and model data from our CMS in a way that best supports the needs of our platform?
- Should we use an existing library or write our own?
- What trends and innovations have I seen recently that can improve and inform the direction of our work?
The ideal candidate:
- Has at least 2 years of professional experience as a software developer
- Loves working with frontend web technologies (ES6, CSS, SVG, animations)
- Has a background in full-stack engineering, including a strong understanding of how a modern web application works end-to-end
- Considers how to optimize for performance and speed when writing code
- Can collaborate with design and product team members to find innovative, creative and technically-sound ways to tell stories
- Thrives in a diverse workplace where knowledge-share and professional development is an important part of our culture
- Is endlessly curious about how and why things work
- Advocates for clean, concise code and internal documentation
Your application should include a resume and cover letter that clearly shows us why you’re our ideal candidate. Optionally, if you do not check off every bullet point in this job description but feel like you’d be a great fit for this role, apply anyway and use your cover letter to elaborate on why you want to join us and any skills you have that you think will contribute to your success in this role. Hope to hear from you soon!