Software Engineer, Campus Content
What We're Looking For
Engineering at 2U is fast paced, innovative and full of people passionate about delivering on the promise of higher education via technology. We’re growing rapidly and are seeking collaborative and results-driven individuals to join us. In return, we can offer you a fun learning environment where your skills, experience and creativity will make a material impact on the company’s success and its overall mission. Your tenure at 2U will be a highlight of your career.
We strive for our teams to be cross-functional, self-organizing and autonomous. You’ll be working directly with product managers and business analysts in a highly collaborative manner.
About the Role
We are looking for a collaborative and results-driven software engineer with experience in agile techniques like test driven development (TDD) and pair programming.
Above all, you care about delivering quality software in a sustainable and timely manner and about software craftsmanship. You have experience in, and passion for, high-quality, maintainable code that confers low operating costs, high change velocity and is a point of professional pride for you and the team.
You are a competent maker with the following competencies:
- Writing maintainable high-performance code
- Refactoring to keep code maintainable
- Conducting exploratory and automated testing
- Debugging complex problems under time constraints
- Leading technical design of applications and participating in larger system design efforts
- Providing technical guidance and feedback to other team-members
You have experience in:
- Running deployment software to put code on production
- Planning and estimating development tasks and short-term projects
- Relating your project deliverables to products you are building and strategy behind them
- Advocating for end user needs in software you are building
- Collaborating with Product team (product managers, business analysts, and UX designers) to define and refine requirements
Over time, we expect engineers in this role to grow by learning and practicing the following skills:
- Participating in application and system level technical design
- Conducting technical interviews
- Participating in planning staffing needs on your team
- Metrics driven software development
This role reports to Director of Engineering for Campus Content team.
About The Team
The Campus Content Team is responsible for the technology used by faculty and Curriculum & Learning team to plan and assemble both asynchronous and synchronous content. Our technology is consumed by students in various players within the learning environment on both web and mobile applications. Our goal is to create an enterprise class content management product suite which enables scalability of content production processes and streamlines workflows by creating data consistency throughout the lifecycle of a course.
- Node + Hapi.js
- React, Angular 1.5, Webpack
- Relational databases (like PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Key Value stores (like Redis)
- AWS services: AWS Lambda, Aurora, Elasticache, RDS, and other AWS services.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
We believe there should be no back row in higher education. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been improving lives by powering the world’s best digital education. As a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities, we build, deliver, and support online graduate programs and certificates for working adults. Our industry-leading short courses, offered by GetSmarter®, are designed to equip lifelong learners with in-demand career skills. To learn more about 2U and No Back Row®, visit 2U.com.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with snacks and seltzer.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Generous paid leave policies including a PTO allowance for your vacation, personal, or sick days
- Additional time off benefits include:
- time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
- parental leave after 12 months of employment
- holidays that include a winter break from Christmas through New Year and more!
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.